We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

STT rental cars no longer allowed on STJ!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
STT rental cars no longer allowed on STJ!

I am just passing this along as I read it this morning. Perhaps STT or Pia or Julie can fill us in with more detail

virgin-islands-on-line.com/forum/…

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,816 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: STT rental cars no longer allowed on STJ!

I just read it this morning too and am confused. I'm hoping it's one of these nutty and illogical things (confusing reality with logic here is an ongoing dilemma) which will be quashed very quickly. Obviously it makes no sense at all and it should be up to the individual rental companies to decide whether or not to allow their cars to go between STT and STJ. Who on earth is going to transport a rental car between STT or STJ and STX anyway? Bloody daft it is!!!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: STT rental cars no longer allowed on STJ!

I agree! It makes no sense whatsoever and if true is a terrible blow to tourism.

I would, however, recommend that anyone traveling to STJ in the near future and reserving on STT, call your rental agency ASAP

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
21 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: STT rental cars no longer allowed on STJ!

Have an upcoming trip from 5/12-5/19 and had previously rented a car with Avis on STT. Called Avis this morning and they said you can still take their cars to St. John. I literally asked the questions "so the new regulation will not be enforced" and got the answer "no sir."

Emailed St. John Car Rental a reservation request this morning as a backup, but need to cancel that by Saturday based on their 3 week cancellation policy if STT rental cars will still be allowed over.

If anyone can shed some additional light on this issue I'd greatly appreciate it. Part of me wants to believe Avis given it's their car I'll be taking over, but I just don't put stock in the fact that their story will be the same when I arrive in 3.5 weeks.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,816 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: STT rental cars no longer allowed on STJ!

The directive is very poorly written but knowing how slowly the wheels grind here there is no way that even if the mandate is carried out (and I doubt it's going to be) it can't be done when rental agencies already have reservations months in advance. The proverbial poop will be hitting the fan with a vengeance today so we'll keep you informed of what's going on!

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
316 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: STT rental cars no longer allowed on STJ!

Thank you STTR!

I was told by an owner of a rental agency that they just received notice yesterday afternoon. I can only imagine a scene where outraged owners descend on the government office to complain!

please do keep us posted as to what you hear.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: STT rental cars no longer allowed on STJ!

The rental agency I have my vehicle reserved from said they are trying to fight it, at least to get a grace period for those with upcoming vacations (like me).

How in the world did I get stuck with no vehicle for a vacation less than two weeks away!!??!!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: STT rental cars no longer allowed on STJ!

I've emailed Magdalena at Amalie and asked for direction. We arrive Saturday.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: STT rental cars no longer allowed on STJ!

So Minde, we're in the same boat. What do you think you'll do? If you reserve on STJ now, you'll be out the deposit if it turns out you can rent from Amalie.

Decisions, decisions...

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
605 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: STT rental cars no longer allowed on STJ!

This is crazy! We started splitting our time between STT and STJ. Always rent on STT, car barge it to STJ for three days then head back to STT for the remainder of the trip. Having to go through the hassle of having to rent two cars is going to change how I vacation, and will not make me very happy about it. Unfortunately, it means my beloved extensions on STJ will likely stop. And what about the people who choose to stay on STT and visit STJ once or twice during their trip?!?! We now have to people ferry it over then take taxi's or rent a car for a day on STJ...cause that will work well...I think not.

If anyone hears of a petition or knows where people can send a letter expressing their dissatisfacation with this - please post.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: STT rental cars no longer allowed on STJ!

Unfortunately I believe this law has always been in effect (not 100% on this though) but most agencies chose to ignore it except for Hertz and all rental agencies on St John.

Someone on the other forum has already been advised by Budget that effective immediately they are no longer allowing cars to St John.

It's going to get very, very interesting !!

Here are the links to the other forum where it is being discussed......

Pia