We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to bring Frozen meat on a plane?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
La Crosse, Wisconsin
9 posts
Save Topic
How to bring Frozen meat on a plane?

My wife and I will be heading to STJ for the first time on may 7th and are staying in a villa. We want to bring some of our own steaks and some other food. What is the best way to get these on the airplane. Our flight leaves at 6:30am and we'll be on the ground on STT at 1:30pm. Can i put frozen steaks in a small soft cooler and put them in my check bag? Or do you bring them on a carry-on? I would think that TSA would not be cool about a bunch of frozen steaks in a carry-on. Any advice from STJ veterans would be great! 16 more days!!!!!!

-kevin

42 replies to this topic
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,742 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to bring Frozen meat on a plane?

This has been covered at least a hundred times if you do a little research, but I'll answer it anyway.

You can carry on frozen meats as long as there are no blue ice/gel packs/ice in the cooler. Make sure it is packed full (wrap in newspaper if necessary). Everything will still be frozen solid when you arrive STJ.

Should you put it in your check bag? That's up to you. Do you what thawed/rancid meat should your bag get delayed or lost?

Have a great trip!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,641 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to bring Frozen meat on a plane?

You can carry on as long as there is no frozen liquid in the cooler. No icepacks, etc. Unless you are using Tecni-ice

We carry on in a small soft sided backback cooler. Everything is vac sealed and deep frozen and then we layer it in the cooler with newspaper, being sure that the cooler is packed tight. We will throw in random things to ensure that there is no open space.

We leave the house around 5 am and usually get to the villa around 4:30 and everything is still frozen.

In my cooler tomorrow will be:

Chicken breasts

Bacon

Genoa and Soppresatta

Shrimp

And on top will be steamers that are a gift for an on island friend

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to bring Frozen meat on a plane?

I have checked a soft-sided cooler many times with varying levels of extra ice packs and such, you should be just fine without additional ice packs with that short of a travel day. Make sure everything is frozen nice and solid. Pack your cooler tight.

La Crosse, Wisconsin
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to bring Frozen meat on a plane?

thanks for the advice

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
55 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to bring Frozen meat on a plane?

We stay at a hotel near the airport the night before we leave and have taken frozen meat without any problems. We pack our soft sided cooler with meat wrapped in newspaper around 4 pm the night before we leave, check it as luggage and it stay frozen until we get to the villa around 4 the next day. Since the airlines now charge for checked bags we no longer take meat with us it is cheaper to buy it on the St John.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,742 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to bring Frozen meat on a plane?

Fizzie - I agree if there are only two people, but if you are going with 4 or more, plan to cook most meals, and are picky about the quality it is still worth bringing a cooler. I have packed meat for a group of 7 for an 11 day stay (cooking 6 nights and all breakfast) and still get everything in a softsided rolling suitcase which I carry-on. I will never check the cooler again after it got delayed one year (the only piece of luggage that did). We were lucky and it showed up before anything was thawed out. SInce we now have to pay for checked bags, we do carry-on only. IF YOU ARE CHECKING A BAG, YOU ARE TAKING TOO MUCH STUFF!!! LOL : )

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
55 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to bring Frozen meat on a plane?

Bluewater - You are right about bringing too much stuff and we usually do jus that!

chicago,IL
Level Contributor
235 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to bring Frozen meat on a plane?

We just returned home last night. I was one who asked too, and all arrived fine in a polar bear cooler (Thank you STJ Forum for that tip!) We wrapped steaks, lamp chops, bacon, cold cuts, cheese in packing paper, and all arrived frozen. Did not freeze cold cuts and cheese but they stayed cool! Froze all meats a few days before at home and packed it in cooler at 4 a.m. and all still frozen at 5 p.m. We did carry it on. Would not check it as all have mentioned above. Starfish Market is a very store, but we were glad to have brought some things as well. We also brought cereal and a variety of snacks to take to the beach. We did stop at KMart in St Thomas and bought liquor there. Huge cost savings! Loved cooking at the villa for the four of us, and we had some great leftovers for lunches.

Cambridge , Mass
Level Contributor
48 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: How to bring Frozen meat on a plane?

We have gone 3 times with frozen food. We put the meats steak tips, chichen hot dogs hamburg eggplant sausages meatballs and even frozen sauce slice cheese, magarine, etc with the frozen meats. Put them in a soft cooler then into a old piece of luggage.( Go to yard sale and get a old piece of luggage or a family member that wants to get rid of it ) Check it in. (There are 3 families so we divide the extra luggage by 3) $8.00 a family.... When we open it up every thing is still frozen .Nothing better having a Italian dinner on the deck looking over the caribbean with a nice glass of red wine. We discard the old piece of luggage next to a dumpster and within minutes it is gone. Since we learned what and what not to bring we have room for snackes, cereal, oatmeal etc in our luggage. This time we are going for 2 weeks we are going to bring less, because we brought so much we hardly went out to eat. So this time we are going to go out more toenjoy some of the eating establishments. The soft coolers go back into the luggage that you brought when you leave. Cannot wait will be there in a few months

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to bring Frozen meat on a plane?

I asked this same question and got a lot of helpful answers but I have one more question. One person said that they cook some dinners at home and then bring pack them in their cooler. What should I put my pre-cooked dinners in if I plan to do this? I know that they need to be frozen but can I just put it in tupperware and freeze it or does it need to be vacuum sealed?

Thanks

Reply to: How to bring Frozen meat on a plane?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted