We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Delaware
Level Contributor
200 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Gallows Point Beach?

Hello, We have been doing a litte research on St. John as our potential honeymoon destination and have been looking at Gallows Point. From the pictures that I have seen it does not appear that they have a walk in beach access there, is that correct? Are there othe local beaches that are within walking distance with easy water access?

Thanks in advance!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gallows Point Beach?

You are correct. Gallows has a small, broken coral beach. The snorkeling there is decent though. They have a dive platform offshore about 50-60 ft. There is a resident barracuda that hangs out under the platform.

You can hike to Honeymoon & Soloman beaches. Probably 25 minutes from Gallows. Very beautiful & easy entry. Good snorkeling too.

No matter where you decide to stay, you should rent a jeep to visit the many beaches.

Have you looked at any villas?

Delaware
Level Contributor
200 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gallows Point Beach?

Thanks bluewater!

I have started to research villas a bit. Can you suggest any that are 2 bedrooms and close to cruz bay - maybe walking distance to town. I like the idea of a villa, however we also enjoy going to a local beach bar for Happy Hour and then dinner and not have to always worry about driving home after!

I did see SeaCruz. Is that walkign distance to town? I have just begun to research, so still trying to figure out the lay of the land!

http://islandgetawaysinc.com/seacruz.html

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gallows Point Beach?

trudm - If Sea Cruz is where I think it is (I was looking at the pictures), you would be able to walk to town. Call Kathy at Island Getaways and ask her. I have rented from her before and she's great to deal with.

The other things I'd ask her is:

How is the privacy? Can another villa/condo overlook the pool deck?

I have a problem with an owner or caretaker living on the property. I know they try to keep a low profile, but it just bugs me to know someone else is there.

What's your budget and when is your trip?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Gallows Point Beach?

I have stayed at Sea Cruz a number of times and although I am a walker, I would not walk to town. You take the road right past the basketball court across from the gas station and Sea Cruz is practically at the top of the hill - a long hike up. Also, you see folks walking on South Shore Road, but I wouldn't do it. Kathy is, indeed, great to work with. If you want more info on Sea Cuiz, I would be happy to help. The owners of Sea Cruz do keep an apartment below the main house, so be sure to check their calendar when booking through Kathy.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gallows Point Beach?

Gallows does not have a "beach" but it does have decent snorkeling directly off their property. Its walkable to Cruz bay and the views are magnificent. Hard to beat. I'd highly recommend.

Delaware
Level Contributor
200 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gallows Point Beach?

To get a better understanding of where things are, is Westin close to the shops/restuarants of Cruz Bay. Alot of things I am seeing refenrece the distance to the Wesitn, so that may help me a bit!

We are looking to go in March/April of 2103. But leaning towards mid April when the prices drop a bit due to the season. Our budget for accomodations will probably be between $3,000 - 3,500 for the week.

Thanks in advance for all your help/advice!

Cedar Point, North...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gallows Point Beach?

If I were on my Honeymoon, I would stay at Gallows and rent a Jeep to get to all the beaches. You can't beat being able to walk into town and not have a worry about driving home.

Unless you can afford Caneel, there are very few options to stay on a nice beach. Gallows is the next best option for us. It is on the water with decent snorkeling on site, nice pool, and one of the best sunset views.

Delaware
Level Contributor
200 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gallows Point Beach?

Thanks mit43, that is what we were originally leaning towards, but there are just so many villa options it is throwing me off a bit! We love the idea of being close to town!

Gallows has a nice honeymoon option too that inncludes a few extras!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gallows Point Beach?

DCvisitor - Is the road just before the basketball courts or at the top of Jacobs Ladder? Obviously, it's not where I thought it was (going by the pictures), and you're right, I'd never walk it either. Is it considered Content Estates rather than Cruz Bay?

trudm - The Westin is about a 10 minute drive on South Shore Rd from the ferry dock. I would never walk to or from town from there.

Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Gallows Point Beach?

We looked at A LOT of villa's for our honeymoon as well and ultimately decided that you really can't beat Gallows for 2 reasons:

1. You can walk downtown at night and not have to worry about driving

2. You get daily maid service. (not that I couldnt deal with not having this, it just seems more like a vacation when someone cleans up after you)

Villa's would be great with a family if you are going to cook a lot and spend most nights at the villa, but we're looking to go out every night and destress.

Gallow's seems right for us.