We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caneel Bay: Will guests of guests be treated like guests?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
362 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Caneel Bay: Will guests of guests be treated like guests?

Some friends will be on St. John while we are there and might come to visit us at Caneel Bay. Guests are usually allowed access to the main beach area only. But what about guests of actual guests of the hotel? What if the two of us want to hang out with our two friends at Scott Beach or Turtle Bay or Hawksnest? Will that be frowned upon?

I can't imagine it being a problem, but one never knows and this is our first stay at Caneel. Many thanks!

Lewis Center
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Caneel Bay: Will guests of guests be treated like guests?

I have been going there for 13 years and I am not sure of that one. My hunch is that you will be told that they can hang out with you on Caneel and honeymoon but the other beaches are truly only for registered guests only. Otherwise you could have people on those private beaches all the time...

Northeast
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Caneel Bay: Will guests of guests be treated like guests?

We didn't ask and just took some guests to Scott. I hope it wasn't really that big of a deal. I didn't feel like asking. It was our 4th or 5th visit to Caneel at that point. Nothing was said to us and the manager drove by on his golf cart a few times.

Are you going during high season? If low season, you might ask and have it not be a big deal if everyone is really low key.

I would just take them and apologize if something is said. That being said, when we stay at Caneel, we love the main beach as much as the rest. I don't' see the big deal about Scott, unless you are turtle watching, and even then they are seen all around the main beach as well. We like that there is food and drink service on the main beach as well as air conditioned bathrooms really close by.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
362 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Caneel Bay: Will guests of guests be treated like guests?

Thanks for your responses so far. We will be there low season.

June 17 for 10 nights to be exact.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Caneel Bay: Will guests of guests be treated like guests?

We had guests at Caneel for the lobster dinner and NO, it wasn't a problem as long as we paid for them to be there!

5. Re: Caneel Bay: Will guests of guests be treated like guests?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 20:36
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
362 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caneel Bay: Will guests of guests be treated like guests?

Thanks for your replies. I assume as our guests they will at least be "allowed" at the main beach with us, which would be just fine. I will absorb any charges associated with them being there as guests. I will check when we get there.

NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Caneel Bay: Will guests of guests be treated like guests?

Your friends will certainly be allowed on Caneel Beach. I'm pretty sure they will have to pay parking charges (waived if they--or you--spend a minimum amount of money on property).

Most everyone is permitted to use Caneel Beach. But why not drop a dime and find out if your old friends and visiting day guests will be permitted to use other areas of the resort--as your guests--as well?

I have found the Caneel management most gracious and accomodating re guest requests and this seems like a small one. I would ask to speak to a senior management member. Desk manager, head concierge, asst or General Manager.

Hope this helps

Edited: 08 May 2012, 05:53
New York
Destination Expert
for Anguilla
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Caneel Bay: Will guests of guests be treated like guests?

I agree with the poster flowersinherhair. I have been a guest at Caneel at least 5 times (not in the past 6 years) and I have never seen enforcement. I would just meet them at the beach bar and take the path or jitney to the beach you want or by your room. Its even rare to see a beach attendant at Scott, and I know they always have extra chairs in the middle area and by the end of the beach near Cottage 7. Its not a real problem, with a lot of non guests using the other 6 beaches --but occasionally you will see boaters and Caneel pretenders. I have always felt that Caneel beach was too busy for my taste. Its fun to go to the different beaches on the property. Great snorkeling off of Scott--lots of turtles in the sea grass. Have spotted them

almost every time!

Most of the restaurants are open to the public, maybe the only one not is the lovely more formal Turtle Bay Estate house. My favorite was always the low key beach bar terrace.

Edited: 08 May 2012, 18:48
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,380 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Caneel Bay: Will guests of guests be treated like guests?

For reasons not disclosed to us (we asked) Caneel has really ramped up security in the past year. We have stayed there five times (most recently in 2010) and during our annual STJ trips when we rent a villa, we visit Caneel for meals.

When we were there in February to do day trips with their water sports center, we were approached several times by security and asked if we were guests of the resort. The first day, we were approached at the taxi stand, at the main terrace area (right at the reception desk) and on the path to the water sports center (within yards from the 2nd encounter) The second day, it was on the path to the shop and close to the water sports center again.

The security staff was professional about it but it happened enough (we were there on two seperate days) that my husband asked one guard about it. Her response was vague and along the lines of "just making sure our guests are safe.." Being high season, maybe there was a high profile person staying there.

We watched and it seemed like they had someone posted to direct people towards the main beach or the path to Honeymoon.

I am curious to hear management's response to your request, please report back. We got the sense that there has been some significant changes at the resort since our last stay (positive).

ETA - I hope that management welcomes your guests, especially if they are joining you for a meal.

Edited: 08 May 2012, 19:17
NY metro
Level Contributor
565 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Caneel Bay: Will guests of guests be treated like guests?

Agree with Cleo. During my Feb 2012 visit I noticed for the first time, uniformed security posted near the parking area directing visitors to the beaches.