We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mosquitoes?

Hi Everyone, We will be going to St John for our first time this summer and I have a quick question. I read that those going in the Spring should use 100% Deet insect repellent. If we are going in the Summer should we get the 100% Deet product or does anyone know if the Avon Skin-So-Soft with Picaridin works just as good overthere? We do not have much of a mosquito problem here in Northern California so I do not use either type. Which do you recommend for St John? Thank you.

NH
Level Contributor
847 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes?

Mosquitoes will be bad about 10 days after a major rain rather then seasonal. I would be more concerned about sand fleas if on the beach at dusk or dawn make sure you use bug spray. As far as what bug spray works better seems really to depend on the person. I would use what you generally use at home. You will have a wonderful time.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes?

You will probably have mosquitos unless its been really dry and if you go on the sand at dusk or dawn you WILL have sand knats. I use as close to a 100% Deet as I can because the mosquitos love me. Never touch my husband just me despite a complete lack of use of any fragrance. One trip I tried an herbal spray that was recommended by someone on-island and the buggers loved that, attracted even more of them. Also be aware of sand bees on the beach. I got stung a couple of years ago walking barefoot at Honeymoon Beach so now I wear flip flops on the beach.Go anyway as STJ RULES!

3. Re: Mosquitoes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 07:17