We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never Again

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
149 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Never Again

We just got back from a week in Mexico. We have gone to St. John each of the previous 4 years but went to Mexico with some friends who wanted a more "resort" experience. All I thought about the was how much better in was on St. John. Pristine, uncrowded beaches, cool bars, laid back vibe, no constant hussle from vendors. The second I can book air for next April, I am coming back. AND, I have vowed to quit talking up St. John so it stays so special. 50 weeks til next trip!

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never Again

Hey quit talking up STJ!

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
8,043 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never Again

Questions:

1. What part of Mexico?

2. Are you still friends? If so,

3. Why??? (just kidding on this one!)

Erlanger, Kentucky
Level Contributor
32 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never Again

Only 8 days until my first time on the rock....

Your post makes me EVEN more excited!

Thanks!

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never Again

Wow, sorry that you had such a bad time in Mexico. Been there and done that in my 20's and not interested anymore. Looking forward to our first trip to St. Thomas and St. John!

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Never Again

Sadly, Maho was the most crowded I've even seen it two weeks ago when we were there.

Still MUCH better than Mexico.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
149 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never Again

Playa del Carmen. Last time was 10 years ago and the population was 20,000. Now more like 250,000. Still friends, and had a blast but just not as cool as St. John. The other post says it all "been there, done that in my 20s". I could not agree more.

Illinois
Level Contributor
63 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never Again

Amen to that. Sure don't want to attract more people. We too tried Abacos, Caymans, Key West, Gulf Coast Florida and always come back to paradise. We have stopped looking for a place to beat out St John.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,894 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never Again

I hear 'ya! We are now working with our daughter who can't afford a destination wedding on STJ and is looking at Mexico and Jamaica- yuck- been to both places and couldn't plan another return to STJ fast enough!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,664 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Never Again

Husband and I were just talking about Mexico/AI yesterday. We went last year with my mom and her husband and had a really good time but it was a different type of vacation from STJ, that is for sure!

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
91 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Never Again

We enjoyed Cancun DECADES ago when it was less well known, Cozumel years ago, and Belize last year. And where are we returning for our sixth visit with much anticipation in less than two months?

The quiet side, Coral Bay.

Nothing, nowhere, like St. John!