We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for good deals on boat trips out of Cruz Bay

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spartanburg
7 posts
Save Topic
looking for good deals on boat trips out of Cruz Bay

If anyone has any recommendations for a tour company for day trips to attractions like Jost Van Dyke and Virgin Gorda, or anywhere else that would be fun for a couple to go for a day. We are staying at the Westin and they have a company that they recommend but the trips seem awefully expensive. I am hoping to find a better deal with someone not in league with the resort. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for good deals on boat trips out of Cruz Bay

You could try calling Captain Rusty. He has the Trisell II, a trimaran, which is a lot of fun. He's lived in the VI for many years and could probably help you out with destinations. His number is 340-771-3333, tell him Julie sent you! Let us know how things went when you get back.

atlanta, ga
Level Contributor
244 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for good deals on boat trips out of Cruz Bay

Our family of four will be booking a trip to the Baths and Norman Island with Limno's Charters. After much research and advise from this forum, I have concluded that they offer the best itinerary and price.

Germantown, WI
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for good deals on boat trips out of Cruz Bay

If you want to get to both Jost Van Dyke and Virgin Gorda in one day try the motor boat tour Called New Horizons II. Here is the web site:

http://newhorizonscharters.com/

For BVI trips just about all the boats charged in the $125 range plus $20-$25 for customs.

We are actually going on two different boats. We are using Stormy Petrel/Pirate Penny to go to Virgin Gorda and a tour of the Baths then on to Cooper Island for lunch and another stop for snorkeling at either The Indians, The Caves or a reef by Peter Island. Here is the link for them:

http://www.charterboat.vi/stormypetrel.html

We are going out with Lion in da Sun for a full day on Jost Van Dyke - including hopefully a hike to the bubbly pool. We did not do the private charter. We are going on a tour through Maho Bay Campground's activities desk so we can pay the per person rate. Here is their web site:

http://www.lionindasun.com/

Watch for my trip report after Easter.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for good deals on boat trips out of Cruz Bay

One thing to keep in mind when planning your day trip (I also found them all to be about the same price)... Decide what TYPE of day you want. We went on the New Horizons II about a year ago. While the trip was great and the staff were excellent, there were almost too MANY stops. They stop at the Baths, Marina Cay (lunch), Jost van Dyke (soggy dollar bar) and Guana Cay (snorkeling). It's great if you want to see a variety of things, but not if you want to stay long!

The Baths really would be great to explore for longer than they have time for, and you can't stay long enough at the Soggy Dollar Bar if you had a full day there!

I would choose your type of day/destination first, and then find a boat that will do that. Just a thought...