We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

L&L Jeep Rental Misfortune

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Topic
L&L Jeep Rental Misfortune

Our family had the misfortune of renting a jeep on our recent vacation to St John from L&LJeep rental . The vehicle that we originally received started to make an awful grinding noise on a trip we made from Cruz Bay to Coral Bay. We pulled over and immediately called the number for the office. We asked what we should do and were told that we should drive the car back to Cruz Bay so that it coud be looked at. We tried to explain our concern regarding our safety due to not knowing what was causing the noise and driving on a hilly,curvy road. We inquired about a tow truck or having somebody meet us rather then driving it back. We were rudely told that we should drive it back since the vehicle did not have the noise when it was given to us. We asked again for somebody to meet us to assess the vehicle and the response was that they were busy and that we were rude not to bother to ask what they had to do that day. We finally did drive the Jeep back into town,with many strange looks from the people that we passed due to the noise. The owner and his side kick did not even say a word to us but grabbed the keys and got in with all of our belongings in it and went for a drive. Leroy hesitantly gave us another Jeep after accusing us of causing the problem. The only place we drove the Jeep was from our Villa to the store a couple of times and to local beaches. The trip to Coral Bay was the first extended trip that we made. We our both professionals and have never been treated so rudely. We loved our vacation other then the Jeep rental. If you are cosidering a rental do not rent from this company. I even told the owners side kick that I would be leaving a disfavorable review and his response was go ahead, what is that going to do. I answered that people will not appreciate being yelled at and would probably not use their company. The response was go ahead nobody will read it. You have been informed, please use another company if you are renting a vehicle in St John.

Schaumburg, IL
Level Contributor
792 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: L&L Jeep Rental Misfortune

Sorry to hear about your troubles. It sounds like a terrible experience that could have been ok if they had just shown a little customer service. I hope that others will heed your warning.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: L&L Jeep Rental Misfortune

We rented from L &L for our upcoming trip instead of dependable because at the time we were needing to book ,all that stuff about no longer being able to take a jeep from STT to STJ was being discussed. Now i'm a little worried. sorry you had a bad experience.

East Coast
Level Contributor
174 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: L&L Jeep Rental Misfortune

We rented from them the first of May and had no problems at all. They were very polite with us. The jeep was in good condition. We would use them again. Sorry that you had a bad experience. I would be upset if that had happened and then were treated that way.

New Hammpshire
Level Contributor
414 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: L&L Jeep Rental Misfortune

On our last trip to St. John, we had an unfortunate backing-up accident in the parking lot at Francis. L&L could not have been nicer about replacing the rear back-up light - in fact, they were much nicer to deal with than our own insurance company. Your story really surprises me. We are renting from L&L again this June, with no worries. Sorry to hear that your experience wasn't positive.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
568 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: L&L Jeep Rental Misfortune

I've rented from a variety of car rental companies on St. John including L&L. It does seem that whenever there is a problem that "attitude" often pops up. I'm not sure why, but it does.

Two years ago when our jeep quit on the road from Maho Bay up to Centerline Rd. (we did manage to get it going again) and the "check engine" light starting coming on, Conrad Sutton car rental treated us horribly. We were told that happens all the time with jeeps on the island. We were told to just keep driving it. There was no way we were going to do that. We drove it back to Cruz Bay and when they refused to give us another vehicle we returned it and went elsewhere.

Last year we rented from L&L with no problem but this year (renting from L&L again), as soon as we drove away from the ferry dock area, a dinging noise started and would go off every 15 - 20 seconds. We immediately called them and they said, "oh, it's nothing. Just drive it that way." I told them there was no way we could drive a vehicle for a week with the "ding" sound happening every 15 seconds. At first they told us they didn't have any other jeeps. After telling them we were not accepting the jeep they gave us, they found another to replace it with but they weren't particularly pleasant about it.

I have yet to come across an agency on the island that consistently gets good marks across the board from renters.

It's really a shame.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: L&L Jeep Rental Misfortune

I'm sorry for your experience. I agree that I've heard good and bad about almost all car rentals on St. John, except maybe Courtesy Car Rental. They seem to have a good reputation.

The last two years, we've rented from Amalie Rental on STT and have been 100% satisfied with their cars and their service and they have made provisions for breakdowns on STJ. I haven't seen a single negative comment about Amalie with the exception of them being more costly. I didn't really compare the cost. Even if they were significantly more costly, I would continue to rent from them because their service is unparalleled.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
178 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: L&L Jeep Rental Misfortune

Use Courtesy Car Rental next time. We had a flat one day and the owner, Greg, plugged it for us at the villa (we had road side assistance). Then the rearend went out in the dark/rain. He exchanged Jeeps at our villa. No questions/attitude at all. He actually apologized to us! Love him and will use them again!!!!

Utah
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: L&L Jeep Rental Misfortune

We rent from L & L on every trip and have never had an issue. Renting from them again next month. Kurt & Levi are great!

Edited: 03 June 2012, 18:33
New York City, New...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: L&L Jeep Rental Misfortune

We just got back from St John for a week stay at Concordia. L& L Jeep is a mess of a company and the owners attitude was unbearable. He made a bunch of unjustified charges to our credit card.. If you are going to St john I would recommend getting another car by the airport and taking the ferry with it. The owner of L & L is not an asset to anyone. He is rude and threatening and.. But if you know someone you hate, do send them to L & L Rental St John.... This company is a stain on the island of St John. We are currently disputing some of the charges on our credit card. The outcome of that will determine my future post about this company and we are considering disputing other charges to the card by this company as well....

Edited: 26 July 2012, 23:33
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: L&L Jeep Rental Misfortune

Gee, Dog, hope you'll eventually have something nice to post about your visit. Three posts to your credit and every one relating to the problems you had with L&L. Hopefully your credit card company will help resolve the issues and that you'll soon create a thread telling us about Concordia.