We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Conditioning

Tulsa
Level Contributor
189 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Air Conditioning

I'm starting research on St. John reading the various reviews and am seeing that a lot of them say there is AC in the bedrooms. My interpretation is that the entire unit does not have a/c. Is that accurate? Are there any rentals that do have a/c in the entire unit?

Thanks if advance.

Michelle

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Conditioning

It would be safe to assume that bedroom A/C means the common living areas are not air-conditioned. Depending on location many homes are built to avoid the use of any A/C. Electric rates are insane especially when compared to the cooling and fairly consistent trade winds At nights however it the breeze dies down and it can get still making it uncomfortable for sleep. Taking a quick dip in the pool or heading to the beach to cool down certainly disturbs my sleep patterns.

There has never been a recorded temperature in the VI over 99 degrees F and the same claim can't be made by most of the lower 48 states.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Conditioning

There are a few villas with full a/c but the cost of electricity in the VI is so high (think 50 cents per KW Hr vs probably 8 to 10 cents where you live) that the electric bills would be ridiculous and the owners would not even be able to cover them with your villa rental fee. I know personally of 1 and 2 bedroom condo's that receive $700 - $800 per month bills and have heard of 3 and 4 bedroom villas with electric bills of $2500 - $3500 per month !!!

Pia

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Conditioning

I think there are a lot more than a few villas. I have personally stayed in 3 different villas that have A/C throughout the entire villa. I would guess that most of your $5K/week and up would most likely have complete AC. For example about half of these houses have full AC

http://www.vacationvistas.com/index.html

Electricity is no doubt terribly expensive but it is not difficult to fine a fully air conditioned house if you want to spend the money. Personally I have to have it in the bedrooms but it is not as necessary in the rest of the house.

B.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
288 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Conditioning

I didn't have ac my whole trip and it was fine. In the bedroom is nice maybe but it's good to hear the sea and the trees in the wind. Relaxing :) its not hot at night compared to up north in the summer. It gots hot when the sun comes up but have some coffee and head to the beach for an early relaxing swim. Oh how I miss st John...

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Conditioning

I still say "a few" :)

Over 650 rental villas on St John and I guess less than 40 (maybe) have full a/c and I say most of those are the Peter Bay villas costing $10,000+ per week. I am thinking my definition of a few and yours are different :)

Pia

Tulsa
Level Contributor
189 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Conditioning

Wow, the cost is incredible! I had no idea. I guess we take a/c for granted. Thanks for the information.

Michelle

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,902 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Conditioning

Pia - I will give you the under I will take the over on 40. You can choose the payout.. Time to put your money where your post is. :)

B.

Parker, Colorado
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Conditioning

I know for a fact that Apito rents for 2600 per week, low season, and the full house AC averages $1000 per month... Although, we've not needed it at all this week. Thank heavens for the Tradewinds!!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,708 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Conditioning

I can remember only a handful of villas advertised as full AC. We have rented some nice houses (5 figure a week houses) and none, not even the Peter Bay ones, had full AC.

If full AC is important to you, I would start by contacting rental agents first, pulling that requirement at the top of your list. Assuming that most over $5,000 house have full AC will set you up for disappointment.

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Conditioning

I have done a lot of research of the avail villas in St. John and am returning for the second time this summer. There are quit a few with full a/c, mostly newer and more expensive villas. I actually choose a villa with full air when I went last July because it was a major concern. Never turned it on in the main house or the bedrooms. I am renting a villa with a/c in bedroom only this time. If you stay in a location that affords good tradewinds you will be fine. I stayed 450 feet up overlooking Coral Bay and the East End - the nights were actually cool in July. We had to close some of the doors (our villa had five large sliding glass doors) because it was cool and windy at night. The breeze makes the days very comfortable as well. Hope this helps.