We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Insurance

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Huntingdon, Pa
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Insurance

Can anyone advise me on travel Insurance.

We are travelling in September and not sure if I should get it or not.

My feeling is. If a hurricance comes thru the island it will only last a day. Flights will not go or leave the island until after it passes so they will only be delayed.

Any Comments??

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Insurance

Your feelings aside, there can be no way to predict whether or not we'll have a hurricane encounter during September nor, if we do, what it's severity will be and whether the airport will be closed for one day or 10 days or more. Travelers coming to the Caribbean are well advised to carry trip insurance and particularly in September which is historically the most active month of them all. It's not cost prohibitive but read the small print so that you're sure to purchase a plan which suits your particular needs. Have fun planning!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,898 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Insurance

I agree with STTResident. Another way to look at it is, what if a hurricane hits before your scheduled arrival and the place you are suppose to stay suffers damage and you can't stay there? You will be out a lot of money.

www.insuremytrip.com allows you to compare policies.

Happy planning!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Insurance

If you are traveling in September you need Trip insurance.

The storm may only last a day but the effects last for much longer. Power can be out for days and that will mean that the airport is closed.

After Hurrican Marilyn, in 1995, people were stuck on island for over a week.

What if you have to evacuate 2 days into your trip? You are out all that money. No villa refunds for weather!

It is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

Cedar Point, North...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Insurance

We always have trip Insurance no matter the time of year we travel. There are many other issues that could delay or cancel your trip.

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Insurance

Can you suggest one, I know as crazy as is we always do August and never had it.....,,

What is guesstimate $ for 3 for week ? Just to get a ballpark figure

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Insurance

CSA is the company that I recommend.

The $ depends on your trip, the site is very easy to navigate

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,358 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Insurance

RDC, go to the site bluewater linked and you can easily put in your details and find cost comparisons.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,893 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Insurance

I agree that you should buy it. I like this site better than insuremytrip, but you should compare and buy what you need and read the fine print because there are many differences.

http://www.squaremouth.com/

Edited: 15 June 2012, 19:18
St. John
Level Contributor
10 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Insurance

Definitely get it ... the rental homes and villas will ask you to leave and stay in a hotel if a storm comes near due to liability insurance issues... and if the storm hits.. the airport etc can be down for a few days.. better to have insurance especially in Sept.. it is not that expensive...

All that aside.. Sept is a super time of year here!! Enjoy your stay!!

Austin
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel Insurance

Definitely read the fine print. First time I bought insurance, it popped up automatically when I bought my plane tickets. Since I only needed to insurance against the non-refundable plane tickets, I bought it then. However, after the purchase I noticed that it didn't cover hurricanes and other problems. Next trip, we bought "no fault" coverage which means you can cancel your trip for no reason or any reason and still make a claim. Decide what you want to insure against, and go from there. and yes, the price of the premium is directly related to the costs of your trip.