We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St John AND St Thomas

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
St John AND St Thomas

We'll be traveling to the USVI at the end of the year for 5 nights. Some of our fellow travelers want to explore St. Thomas, not just St. John. Does anyone have an opinion on staying on St. John for 5 nights, but spending 1 or 2 of those days taking the ferry to St. Thomas? Would it be better/smarter to stay in each place for a couple of nights?

Santa Rosa Beach...
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St John AND St Thomas

We usually stay St John for days, then last day at STT best western emerald beach 2 mins to airport ...

This way we have 1.5 days in STT .....

This way you can shop downtown and see some sights, pick a good place to eat and drink. Following mornining , swim at hotel , lindbergh bay to me best beach on STT , have lunch and grab your flight home.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St John AND St Thomas

Stay on one or the other but I wouldn't split up such a short stay on both with all that packing and unpacking basically taking up a day. Easy and quick enough to get between the two. If you stay on STT you can (with the exception of Hertz) take your rental vehicle to STJ on the car barge to explore but if you stay on STJ, the agencies there don't allow their cars to go to STT. If you don't already have it, here's a link to the interisland ferry schedule and rates:

www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St John AND St Thomas

I agree with PP's, that is too short of a trip to split between 2 islands. Pick and island and stay on it and you can travel back and forth as needed, although I think once they get to STJ, they will not want to leave!

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,953 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St John AND St Thomas

What interests them about STT? If they just want to say they've been there and done that, maybe you could arrange an island tour either when you land or before your departure. The island is so small, they can see a lot in a few hours. If they're interested in colonial history, they could do a separate tour of Blackbeard's Castle.

Unfortunately, the route from the STT airport to the Red Hook ferry doesn't usually give the best impression of the housing conditions on STT, but the island tours give you an opportunity to see more neighborhoods.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St John AND St Thomas

Thanks all. The reasons for visiting St. Thomas are that my in-laws want to tour where some of their relatives landed in the 1600's. Also, some in the group like to do more walking, historical site touring, than beaches...so thought we'd split it up as a result...

Maybe we can rent a car in STT after flying in - drive to STJ - stay on STJ all 5 nights, but take the car to STT for 1 or 1.5 days? Do they allow that? Is 1 or 1.5 days enough to see the STT sites and/or would we be missing out by not seeing any STT beaches?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,948 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St John AND St Thomas

Yes, you can move a rental car based on STT between STT and STJ but, as I think I already said on one of your related posts, you can't take a rental from STJ to STT. If you know the last names of those relatives I might be able to help locate their stay here. If you PM via TA with information I'll be more than happy to help if I can.

St Thomas, VI
Level Contributor
7,953 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St John AND St Thomas

They may be interested in the Caribbean Genealogy Library which has a website you can probably find by googling. They have quite a few archives that might not be easily available in the States.

I think the Synagogue has records, and there are the cemetaries that are popular with people doing historical research. Other churches might have records, too.

The Enid Baa Library also has archives, and they're usually open M-F until 5.

Blackbeard's Castle is a great historical tour attraction, but it's only open on cruise ship days.

They might need more than one day... :-)

florence, sc
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St John AND St Thomas

No brainer...Stay on St. John. With 5 days you won't even see a fraction of the beauty of St. John...STT in my humble opinion is just the ghetto portal to St. John

9. Re: St John AND St Thomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 June 2012, 17:05
Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St John AND St Thomas

Apparently humility does not preclude tactlessness, gross hyperbole/oversimplification, or a tendency to paint in ugly colors with a broad brush.