We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning our trip....help us get started please!

Walla Walla
Level Contributor
464 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Planning our trip....help us get started please!

We have just started researching to plan our trip to st John. Let me tell you a little bit about us and what we enjoy in a trip. We are both in our mid/late 30's we enjoy seclusion, adventure, water, hiking, nature, and food. Our last trip was to Belize where we spent most of our time on a private island where we snorkled at our leisure, speared our own lobster and fish meals, and layed around and read books. We don't need luxury accommodations, but do like clean accommodations. We are planning on renting a dinghy for a day or two. We don't really care for planned excursions with a bunch of people. We do enjoy off the beaten path things. Or hard to get to destinations that are well worth your effort to get there.

So I'm asking for advice on what we should do, where we should stay, where we should travel and what is not to be missed.

I'm also wondering about th best months to travel. I love a good bargain , so we often travel in the shoulder months when prices are a little more reasonable.

Thank you for your help!

I'm also wondering

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning our trip....help us get started please!

St John has all you are asking for to offer. Check out www.stjohnusvi.com for lots of info. Low season is (somewhere) in April to approx Dec 15th. You can do anything from camping to renting a private villa. There are 2 resorts. The Westin and Caneel Bay. There is plenty of snorkeling from many beaches. A rental jeep is a must IMO, to see & explore all that St John has to offer.

An excellent resource is Feet, Fins & 4 Wheel Drive, as well as, St John: Off The Beaten Path.

Happy Planning!

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
279 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning our trip....help us get started please!

I was married in Belize and spent my first anniversary in St. John this past February. They are very different places but each are great in their own way. Where did you stay in Belize? We stayed on Ambergris.

There really isn't a bad place to stay in St. John. It all depends on what you're looking for. If you want to be within walking distance of shops and restaurants then Cruz Bay is the way to go. If you want killer daytime views then the North Shore is your spot. If you want gorgeous sunset views then check out Gifft Hill. If you want seclusion, then head toward the Coral Bay area. I stayed in both Gifft Hill and on Ajax Peak and both were great in different ways.

St. John is great in that you really don't need a plan. You basically wake up and pick a beach and/or a hiking trail. There are only a few hotels on the island and most people rent villas. There are also condos for rent near Cruz Bay. Island hopping is also fun. Jost Van Dyke is a blast. If you have anymore specific questions, please ask.

Syracuse
Level Contributor
488 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning our trip....help us get started please!

Jen,

You explained st John perfectly.

Cruz Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
279 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning our trip....help us get started please!

That's because St. John is my favorite place on earth.

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning our trip....help us get started please!

Sounds like St. John is a great place for you. If you like privacy and adventure, I would not go to a resort. We are going for the second time and love the privacy of a villa of which there are many. Coral Bay is a quieter area which I prefer. For a very remote experience, consider the East End. Traveling June, July, August is cheaper and the island is not crowded (although compared to STT is never is). Weather isn't much different, waters are warmer and calmer unless a hurricane is passing in the Atlantic which quit truthfully is more likely to happen in the Carolina's or Florida than it is in St John. If you have a price range in mind and would like a few suggestions, just let me know. Villas can be cheaper than the resorts on St. John and you can rent anything from a small cottage to a luxury multi million dollar home.

6. Re: Planning our trip....help us get started please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 06:15