We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. John for young couple

Cornwall-on-Hudson...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
St. John for young couple

Headed down for week 30(28 July - 4 Aug). This will be my third trip down, but first with my gf. We're in our mid/late twenties. I'm working on planning a general timeline of things. No day to day plans, but a list of things to do so I'm not searching come vaca time. We have a jeep, and a villa overlooking maho already sorted.

Things I plan on doing for sure are: Kekoa sunset snorkel, Trunk Bay early to get the gf up to speed with snorkeling, Waterlemon, probably The salt pong, and honestly idk what else. Everything is so go with the flow, I've racking my brain but can't remember much besides going out to town everynight.

I'd like to go to the best places to eat every night, best sandwich places everyday, best bars. Pretty much not really worried about prices. I'm not gonna private charter a boat or anything, but meals/drinks and the Kekoa trip are well within reason. Jost worth the trip? How about the Baths? Never been to either.

Help!

Thanks much.

Northeast
Level Contributor
167 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: St. John for young couple

I'd not bother to leave St. John for Jost or the baths. All the beaches on island are amazing, why pay to leave? Best sandwiches are at Deli Grotto to pack for the beach. We also like lunch at High Tide for the view. Same with Aqua Bistro in Coral Bay as well as Tourist Trap (amazing ice cream for dessert).

We love Waterfront Bistro, La Plancha Del Mar, and Sweet Plantains (Coral Bay) for nice dinners. La Tapa and Rhumblines are great too! Check with the St. John Spice website for possible restaurant closings during your timeframe.

Please report back on Kekoa. We'd love to try that next time!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,199 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. John for young couple

If you decide to go to Salt Pond, also hike out to Drunk Bay and built a couple of coral people. Take a camera. Have lunch or dinner at Aqua Bistro. Make reservations if going for dinner. Very good food.

Don't miss Francis Bay since you are staying so close. It's become our favorite beach. Good snorkeling on the far right. Keep an eye on the fans (coral), the current can be strong at times. If they are laying down, turn around.

Ocean Grille in Mongoose Junction is very good. (I like the lunch menu better than the dinner, but that's just me.) Their desserts are WONDERFUL! All homemade.

Deli Grotto for great sandwiches.

Tap Room for great beers and food isn't bad either. Both in Mongoose Junction too.

Beach Bar, in Wharfside Plaza, is always fun. They have live music some nights. Good burgers & fish sandwiches.

Woody's Bar (walk straight ahead from the ferry dock) Many people love the place. We weren't impressed, but the shark bites were good. Music was TOO loud for us (we're older than you....)

Banana Deck (across road from Beach Bar) I had the Mahi Wrap for lunch one day in May. It was great and big enough for two! Hubby had chicken wings and said they were good too. We like their lunch menu and specials, but not too iimpressed with dinner. We went for lunch twice and enjoyed everything we had.

Candi's BBQ on the way to Starfish Market. Steaks, ribs, chicken and fish. Good sides too. Dinner only I think(?) Don't go too late or she may be out of something. Can't remember if she takes credit cards or is cash only.

I'm sure others will have many more recommendations.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. John for young couple

I will not give reviews on what has already been said but I will echo a few suggestions for dining.

Banana Deck and High Tide get my top marks for casual but great food.

For higher end dinners, you can not go wrong with La Tapa, Zozo's and Rhumblines.

In Coral Bay, we loved the casual vibe at the bar at Island Blues and the food at Aqua Bistro was so very good!

Cornwall-on-Hudson...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. John for young couple

Thanks for the help thus far. It really is much appreciated. I'm really looking forward to the trip. It'll be nice to see how St. John has changed since the last time I was there.

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St. John for young couple

If you are going to Salt Pond don't forget to stop at the Tourist Trap for lunch - open 11 to 6. Great drinks and food Aqua Bistro is high on my list for lunch or dinner. A favorite stop for drinks, too. In Cruz Bay, we enjoy the Beach Bar for food and a great view. Stop in at Bones Bar at the ferry dock for a great drink to go or to stay when you arrive. Nice way to start a vacation on St John. I am going back the week after you and am counting the days. Hope you enjoy your vacation.

MA
Level Contributor
746 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. John for young couple

We discovered Sam and Jacks for great deli sandwiches (and their amazing strawberry and basil ice cream to pick up for after dinner) this past April. are located upstairs from Starfish market. So now we are hard pressed between Sam and Jacks and Deli Groto. You might also eat right at Maho Bay camps, because we found the food delicious and the view spectacular. You can rent kayaks there as well. We love kayaking out to Whisteling Cay and the snorkeling there is excellent to the left as you face the old customes house. That, is, as long as the seas are not up.

I second most of the restaurants mentioned above. Have a great trip!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. John for young couple

Taking the ferry to Jost is one of our favorite things to do. We always pack our backpack cooler with the beverages of choice and hop on the ferry, grab a taxi to Soggy Dollar and hang out there for the day.

This time we are also heading to Virgin Gorda for the day to hit up the beaches there as well.

On St. John we try to go to the beaches that the taxis don't stop at.

We plan on taking the ferry bag to St. Thomas one night to grab drinks at Duffy's Love Shack. Cash only! Great drinks, dancing and a fun crowd.

The best happy hour has always been Woody's to us. The music is loud, the crowd is fun and the beer is cold.

The best food we've had on island was at Asolare?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
288 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. John for young couple

High tide has good food and the atmosphere is fun by the dock but go to la tapas next to woodys for a nice romantic meal. The food is delicious! More upscale but not pricey like you would think...

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
909 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. John for young couple

Make sure you hit Maho Bay, too. That is one of my favorites and a great first snorkel because it's so calm! There is good snorkeling on the right and turtles in the middle. It's such a pretty beach, too! Take your chairs and cooler with drinks and make a day of it. I LOVE Aqua Bistro in Coral Bay for lunch or dinner, as well as Shipwreck Landing. I want to try Tourist Trap this time. In Cruz Bay we really enjoyed High Tide and Rhumblines. I've heard good things about other places I plan to try in 3 weeks. I will be on island about the same time and can't wait!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St. John for young couple

I would suggest starting the snorkling out of Maho Bay over to Francis Bay as there will be far fewer people and easier for your GF to concentrate as she learns. Secondly, we too take the day ferry over to Jost Van Dyke every trip and LOVE it! You can catch a cab after you get off the public ferry and go over to the Soggy Dollar at White Bay or Foxy's Taboo on the other side of the island at Diamond Bay. At Diamond Bay you can hike out to the Bubbling Hole which at high tide is AWESOME. The food at Taboo is very good.

Remember- the "best" is anything you do for fun with someone you enjoy being with- its STJ after all!