We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing food in checked baggage

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jersey
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
bringing food in checked baggage

We are a family of 5 renting a villa, what do you suggest we put in our checked baggage as far as food is concerned? I was thinking cereal, tea, coffee, pasta . Is food terribly expensive ? I have friends that have frozen meat and checked a cooler..... Thoughts?

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
605 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing food in checked baggage

There are quite a few topics on this board that have discussed this in recent weeks - a qucik search will show you everything from how to pack meat and cheese for carryon, how to ship non perishables, etc. You'll come up with a lot of ideas that way.

Personally, we check a bag with non perishable food - a duffle can be filled with food to take down, and shoved in a return bag for the trip home - so you'd only have to pay the checked bag fee once. We usually take the following: coffee, lemonade/gatorade packets, sugar packs, breakfast/granola bars, peanut butter, granolla or dry cereal (small boxes) and a selection of snack items - lays stacks chips, crackers, etc. When we arrive, we pick up the perishable stuff. We typically eat breakfast and lunch with what we brought and bought...but always eat our dinners out. Last year we traveled as a group of 8 - stuck with the same plan, but added in "canned" tuna/chicken (sealed in the bags at the store), dry pasta, boxes of jello and pudding mix. It helped stretch things a little further for the group.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing food in checked baggage

There are lots of threads on this topic and even more opinions!

Snack foods are considerably more than on the main land. Bags of chips are $7-$8, crackers are $6 and up, etc. I think a box of Lucky Charms was $8 in February. If you need/want to buy snacky food, you will be in for sticker shock. Depending on the ages of your kids and their eating habits, I could see how the cost of a checked bag would be worth it.

Most produce is the same or even cheaper.

We don't buy meat on STJ so I can't off opinions on cost.

Google the Starfish Market. Another poster, Tinke, mentioned that Starfish publishes their weekly sale flyer on their website.

On several occasions, I checked a cooler with frozen meats. I did this for quality and ease of meal planning.

Things I have shooved in the nooks and crannies of my suitcase included: coffee, coffee filters, paper plates, ziploc bags, granola/protien bars, containers of nuts, bags of mini snickers bars (frozen for beach treats), micro popcorn, etc.

bev
maryland
Level Contributor
189 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing food in checked baggage

We bring food like meat and cheese. We get a car in stt and stop by costuless on the way to the barge. Their coffee is local and great and the have jumbo frozen shrimp at Costco prices. They also had fresh Labrea bread and a great sour dough English muffin pack. Also pick up eggs, milk and OJ there.

After a day or two, I stop at Josephines in Coral Bay and buy whatever she has that looks good.

And one more quirky thing that drives my hubby crazy - my dog sitter eats nothing green and it will rot, so I throw in whatever fits.

new jersey
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing food in checked baggage

Thanks for all the replies, unfortunately we are renting a Jeep on STJ so will shop in Cruz Bay. I'm a liitle nervous about freezing steaks since we are flying this coming week..... Thanks again

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bringing food in checked baggage

I leave on Aug 5th. Flying from Newark with transfer in Charlotte. I was in St. John last July and talked to several people about this who did it. I am traveling with frozen meat this year in checked baggage - using soft collar inside suitcase. Plan on a great steak dinner on the deck of the villa overlooking the north shore our first night. Food purchase is expensive on STJ although I found the quality to be just as good just not the variety. Just my husband and i this year so we don't need a lot. Planning on taking my barbeque meats with me, butter, coffee, cereal, snacks, and a few bag sides. Markets on STJ will fill in anything we need. Hope you have a great trip.

Level Contributor
16 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bringing food in checked baggage

Bev in Maryland, Do you mind sharing which company you rent from on St Thomas?

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bringing food in checked baggage

I have flown the non stop Cont/United from EWR many times with my food frozen solid in a checked, soft sided zip top cooler. They allow the blue gel frozen ice pack as well as techni ice in the cooler.

bev
maryland
Level Contributor
189 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bringing food in checked baggage

I rent from Avis, but rarely budget is cheaper. Avis has better cars, I think.

We stay at Gallows, so 4wd is not necessary. A regular car is far cheaper, but at some villa locations, 4 wd is a must. We take the sedans to all the beaches without a problem.

Iowa
Level Contributor
181 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bringing food in checked baggage

We are leaving next Saturday for our first stay in STT. It will be four adults staying at Grande Bay. We still don't have a car reserved. Running into jeeps not available in STT. We have four large suitcase a well and now thinking we will have to do a full size car. We probably won't be too adventurous since its our first trip. Will we be ok with a car? Sure seems less expensive and jeep probably would be too small with all of our luggage.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bringing food in checked baggage

Grande Bay is on STJ, not STT.