We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trunk & Maho in 1 day w/ no car from ferry - advice

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hershey, PA
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Trunk & Maho in 1 day w/ no car from ferry - advice

Coming over from STT on Red Hook ferry and would like to snorkel Trunk and Maho, but didn't plan to rent a car unless it's cheaper. Thinking we should do Trunk early morning to avoid crowds then head to Maho, then back to ferry area for drinks/dinner.

1. Is that a good plan?

2. What time do taxis start running?

3. Do I need to pre-arrange the Maho to ferry taxi? Or are they easy to get at Maho?

4. About how much for Trunk to Maho taxi pp? It's not on the rate sheet)

5. Reasonably priced place for drinks/dinner near ferry? (2 21+ and 2 parents)

Thanks

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trunk & Maho in 1 day w/ no car from ferry - advice

I've done Trunk/Maho in one day a few times, but always with a vehicle. With all the stuff we bring (towels, sand toys, cooler, snorkel gear) it's a lot to haul around. I wouldn't do it with a taxi. I'd pick one beach and stick with it. IMO

Boston
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trunk & Maho in 1 day w/ no car from ferry - advice

You can take Frett's shuttle to/from Maho and the other north shore beaches. Check the Maho website for details. It used to be $6 pp each way, but may have gone up.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
562 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trunk & Maho in 1 day w/ no car from ferry - advice

PennStater ~ I'm guessing you are staying on St. Thomas and not trying to catch a cruise ship later that day. If my guess is correct, here are my thoughts:

Ferries from Red Hook to Cruz Bay begin at 6:30 AM. There is another at 7:30 AM and then they run hourly starting at 8:00 AM. The ferry returns from Cruz Bay to Red Hook every hour beginning at 7:00 AM.

I'm guessing you are not going to be on the 6:30 AM ferry so any other ferry you take will have taxis waiting for you when you arrive at Cruz Bay. The first thing you should do is check the cruise ship schedule. Both Oasis and Allure of the Seas call on St. Thomas all year round. Trunk Bay can be very busy when they are in port. If you are staying on St. Thomas, pick a day when they are not in port. Google St. Thomas cruise ship schedule to see what ships are in port when you are there.

Yes, you can easily do Trunk and Maho in one day. Since you are coming from St. Thomas, I'm guessing (again) you won't be lugging as much to the beach as if you were staying on St. John. You can rent both beach chairs and snorkel gear at Trunk. There are no rental facilities at Maho (although there are now restroom facilities at Maho). If time isn't an issue for you, you could easily spend a few hours at each spot.

Trunk to Maho is a very short taxi ride (close than Cruz Bay to Trunk which is $6 per person). I would talk to a taxi driver when you get to Cruz Bay, tell him your plans and negotiate for them to provide all your transportation. If you are there on a day with no ships in St. Thomas I'd bet they'll be happy to accommodate you.

There are a string of beach bars and restaurants just off the ferry dock in Cruz Bay. You'll find a complete listing here: www.wharfsidevillage.com/bars_restaurants.php The area is called Wharfside Village.

Have a fantastic time!

4. Re: Trunk & Maho in 1 day w/ no car from ferry - advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 20:15