We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booster Car Seats

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Booster Car Seats

Would like to know if booster seats are required in cars for a 6 year old and a 8 year old in St John? Do they need to bring one with them? Thank you

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Booster Car Seats

I don't know what the law is, but I would use them. Even if it's a backless booster. They are easy to carry, but you can also rent them. Try your car rental agency or there are at least two different car seat rental agencies on St. John. I'm sure the car rental agency help you locate one. Also, we rented from Caribbean Villas and they helped us locate one of the agencies.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,677 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booster Car Seats

They are not required, and you do not need to bring them if you do not want to use them.

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Booster Car Seats

I don't know the exact law, but somebody else said, they are not required.

But if I were you, I would use them anyway. It's not about a law, it's about your children's safety. The seat belt simply doesn't fit children that young, they need to be "boosted".

FYI: U.S. experts found out, that children under 4'9" that don't use booster seats are more likely to suffer serious injuries or even death in the event of an accident.....

Moreover it's way more comfortable for kids that age to be in booster seats. (seat belt doesn't scratch, watch out of the window)

If you don't want to take the booster seats on the plane, I'd recommend to buy them at a local store in VI, they are like $20. On the plane you can usually transport them for free.

Edited: 16 July 2012, 14:23
St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,498 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Booster Car Seats

I wouldn't bank on finding booster seats locally as you can't always find what you want at any given time even at KMart. If you have time you might want to ship them down via USPS Priority flat rate box either to where you're staying or to Connections on St John who'll hold them for you for a small fee until your arrival.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Booster Car Seats

In the past, I have purchased a cheap booster seat just for the trip. We were never charged for gate checking the high back booster and I carried on the low boosters. I rented a high back booster in February and regretted it, it was really worn and crappy.

6. Re: Booster Car Seats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2013, 05:17