We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference b/w STJ and STX?

north carolina
Level Contributor
413 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Difference b/w STJ and STX?

We always come to STJ. I have been hearing more about STX. I would love to hear from some STJ lovers their opinion on STX. Tx.

north carolina
Level Contributor
413 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference b/w STJ and STX?

Maybe I should clarify about my question...what I love about STJ is the beaches and Cruz bay. We love being able to walk around town, stop at happy hours, eat wonderful food, meet nice people and feel completely safe.

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
897 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference b/w STJ and STX?

I've never been there, but my sister has heard me rave about St. John and found a good deal there two years ago. She loved it! However, I will preface that by saying she's never been to St. John. I'm afraid I might be spoiled to quiet and peacefulness of St. JOhn, as well as the off shore snorkeling. That being said you seem to really like the beaches and Cruz Bay. So you might like St. Croix. My understanding is that its a bit busier and more crowded.

Hudson, Florida
Level Contributor
407 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference b/w STJ and STX?

I was in St. Croix in 2008. Loved it there! Have been going to STJ for the past 3 yrs now & like keke said, I also love being able to walk around town, stop at happy hours, etc.

GA
Level Contributor
136 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difference b/w STJ and STX?

St. croix is much larger, and I remember it being flatter too, in parts. I loved snorkeling Buck Island! We spent a week once. The east end and Christiansted are probably where you'd want to focus your search. We felt safe during the day there, but I must say it felt creepier at night; but that could be in my head as I had heard bad things about stx at night. Everyone was perfectly lovely to us, in truth. My sister in law has a friend with a house there and she goes every year.

I've heard it described as follows. STT is the city, Stj is the country, and stx is the suburbs. It's more spread out and populated than Stj, but has most of the chain stores that STT has too.

Personally, I'm in love with Stj, but stx is worth a try if you're up to it.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difference b/w STJ and STX?

We have friends that go to STX every year for two weeks so obvisously they love it. From what they describe, they stay put at their rental. They go to beaches during the day and cook in every night. They think we are silly for going to STJ and going out to eat every night.

Maine
Level Contributor
74 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Difference b/w STJ and STX?

I stayed near Christiansted on STX in 2010 and then spent a week on STJ this past April. Both are beautiful but have different vibes. On STX, we only left the resort one evening and were happy to stay 'on campus' the rest of the time, with the exception of a day trip to Buck Island. STJ is all about exploring the island. My husband really enjoyed the daily routine of one beach in the morning, break for lunch, hit another beach in the afternoon. With close proximity to the BVI's, STJ also offers more variety for day trips. Last, the food on STJ wins out over STX hands down.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,303 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Difference b/w STJ and STX?

I have to strongly disagree with the above about the food in STX. The food in STX is very well known as being excellent, so much so that there is a Food and Wine festival there every year. IMO it has the best food in the VI (American and British) hands down. There is also a huge variety of places to eat from fast food to high end restaurants with much in between. I would further say that if the above posteronly left their resort one time, it is really not very fair to judge the entire island or comment on its food.

There are a lot of differences between the two islands. Both are great destinations, but offer different things. They both have really nice beaches and snorkeling, but I would say that STJ has some of the best beaches in the world. Because STJ is about 2/3 national park, it has a more pristine feel because it is protected, also you can island hop relatively easily to STT and the BVI - because STX is geographically separate, it is not possible to do this.

For me, one of the big drawbacks with STJ is that you cannot stay on the beach without paying an arm and a leg. This is a dealbreaker for me. I know many people do not mind getting into a hot car after being at the beach all day, but it is not for me. You can find accommodation at all price points on the beach in STX and overall most everything is less expensive.

Both have ample things to do, but STJ's are more geared for swimming, snorkeling, hiking, that sort of thing - STX has all of that plus two towns with lots of history, two rum factories, old plantations and great houses, diving, off road jeep tours, tidal pools, kayaking, botanical gardens, golf, etc. STX is also about 2X the size of STJ and has a lot of different areas to explore - which is higly recommended. Staying at a resort the entire time does not give you a feel for the island. There is the dry/arid eastern side and the wetter, hilly more lush western side. To me, it has more of an island feel than STJ does.

I have been going to the VI for the past 30 years and discovered STX about 6-7 years ago - and now alternate between there and the BVI and wonder what took me so long to find it. Having said all that, it is not for everyone. There are many people on this forum who go to STJ every year who probably would not like STX very much - because it is not STJ - but for those of us who love it, STX is wonderful just as it is.

Norristown...
Level Contributor
352 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Difference b/w STJ and STX?

It's been a while, but...we stayed on the north shore at a place called The Waves At Cane Bay. Not sure if it's still there. It was a bit of a drive to get to Christiansted or Fredericksted (sp?), but we like to explore, so didn't mind driving. I agree with LowKey that if you want a Cruz Bay type situation, you'd want to stay closer to one of the 2 towns - Fredericksted is a bit more "rustic" but had some good offshore snorkeling. Did most of our dining in C-sted - plenty of good restaurants. Overall, we had a very positive experience on STX and would go back...if there weren't so many other places we still need to see!

Illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Difference b/w STJ and STX?

STX beaches are weak in comparison to STJ.

STX "exploration factor" is different in comparison to STJ

STX is more populated than STJ

STX is a place you can live and work every day

STX is isolated (ferry) from other islands in comparison to STJ

STX has many more hotel choices over STJ

STX has much more commercial shopping than STJ

In the end, it's up what you prefer most. Each island has it's own unique place in this world. A caribbean vacation on any island is my preference.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Difference b/w STJ and STX?

Hi, I have been to both and love them for different reasons. We did not stay at a resort (we don't usually stay at resorts) either time we went to STX instead stayed in a small hotel in Christianstead. Loved everything about being in-town and being able to walk to dinner & enjoy a bottle or two of wine w/o worrying about driving. (loved Kendricks!) We did a rent a car the second time we were there so we could see the whole Island and really enjoyed it all. We sailed, played golf & snorkeled and I shopped.

I have only spent 1 day on STJ but immediately fell in love with how beautiful & serene it is. (loved it so much, we will be there for a week at Christmas! can't wait)