We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gate Code at Dittlif Point

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
IrisAriel
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Gate Code at Dittlif Point

Does anyone know the code to the gate at Ditliff Point? Was told by a friend that the snorkeling there is amazing on the Klein Bay side.

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,676 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gate Code at Dittlif Point

I think if they were ok with that being public knowledge, they would just get rid of the gate :)

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gate Code at Dittlif Point

While I do not agree with the gate, it is there for a reason. Obtaining the code without being a guest or owner there is trespassing.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gate Code at Dittlif Point

You can legally snorkel from klien to ditliff, if you are a stong swimmer and have the energy.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Gate Code at Dittlif Point

I'm sorry the gate is there for a reason (agree or disagree and that is a whole other topic) - to keep people out and I ask if there is anyone who knows the code that you please do not post it here or on any other travel forum. There are many amazing places to snorkel on St John - some requiring quite a hike and the reward will be just as good (actually I have snorkeled Ditliff and didn't think it was anything so unbelievable that I couldn't find equally good snorkeling elsewhere on island)

Thank you

Pia

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gate Code at Dittlif Point

I actually just spoke to someone that said that the gate code changes often for this very reason

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,684 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Gate Code at Dittlif Point

You are correct Tink - I forgot to add that.

It is always fun when as a Realtor and you are trying to show property at Ditliff you have to remember to call and get the new code (quite embarrassing when you can't get in because you are using the old code - not that that has EVER happened :)

Pia

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gate Code at Dittlif Point

according to their website www.ditleffpoint.com Ditleff Point access is only for the 'astute' and 'discriminating' , previously the site called them 'the select few' - hence the gate.

You can go by boat to snorkel - if you have the opportunity it is very nice.

Edited: 03 August 2012, 18:54
Northeast
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gate Code at Dittlif Point

I find this post highly offensive. If you want to be on Ditleff, you need to rent there for your stay, or buy. It is private and owners paid a premium to be there. It is what is it. Please don't PM or post the code!

You could also access the area for snorkeling by water, as mentioned, although there are probably better places to access by boat.

All the negative comments about the advertising lingo are also getting a little old. Deal with it and move on. It was never national park land and yes it is high end. Big deal.

Edited: 03 August 2012, 20:18
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,721 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gate Code at Dittlif Point

I think the advertising lingo is offensive, to be honest.

Using snobbery to attract people usually attacts snobs. There are people on STJ that are dripping with money and you would never know it, they don't need to label themselves.

Just my opinion

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gate Code at Dittlif Point

I didn't advocate publishing or PM-ing the gate code or trespassing and I didn't write the advertising lingo on the public website.

Edited: 03 August 2012, 20:32