We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to St John with toddler

Beautiful, North...
Level Contributor
261 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to St John with toddler

We know we are taking a day trip to St John during our St Thomas stay, but we are not sure what we are/should do. We will be traveling with our (2 year old) toddler and we will have our own car that we will come over with on the car barge. Can anyone help map out our day there?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for St. John, Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to St John with toddler

With a toddler, go for an early start. The best beaches for toddlers are Hawksnest Beach, Maho Bay and Francis Bay. Maho Bay is my preference due to the most gentle entry - the best shade is on the right side. If you can bring your lunch and a sunshade you'll get more time on the beach. I like to rinse the young one out of a gallon jug of water before getting in the car.

If you're looking for something interesting to do, the walk to Haulover Bay North would be interesting. There are a lot of hermit crabs back there. You'll see mules, goats & sheep on the way out there, maybe cows and pigs and the occasional iguana.

Why not the best known beaches like Trunk Bay? It's a long walk from parking and the entry into the water is not as gentle. Crowds.

Have fun!

Cheers, RickG

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to St John with toddler

When our son was a toddler, Maho was our favorite because of the reasons RickG already mentioned - close parking, shade, gentle water and easy entry. We also like Hawksnest, to the left when facing the water. (the entry can be sort of steep and loose to the mid-right.)

We were blessed with an easy child so after the beach, we would head out for a late lunch. The Shipwreck and the Ocean Grill both have nice bench seating where our son could lay his head on my lap and nap.

Beautiful, North...
Level Contributor
261 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to St John with toddler

Thanks for the information, very helpful!!!!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to St John with toddler

Another thought and forgive me if this is a no-brainer to you - take extra dry clothing. Our child is a total water baby but like me, he hates sitting in a wet suit while in the car. I also still take rinse water to get the sand off.

Beautiful, North...
Level Contributor
261 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to St John with toddler

^ totally!! We use baby powder to remove sand! On everyone, it works great!!

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to St John with toddler

I just got back from a week with a toddler and our favorite beach with her was Trunk (non-cruise day though). Hawksnest was also good and was very close to Cruz.

Beautiful, North...
Level Contributor
261 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to St John with toddler

Great thanks!! Did you stay on STJ for the week or STT? Any other tips?

St. John
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
2,714 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to St John with toddler

I agree with Hawksnest and Maho. They are both great beaches for little ones. The only things I will add is sunscreen, apply often, and do head to toe. I strip my guy down and put him on a picnic table before we hit the sand and slather him. Then reapply often. Water, make sure you have the little one drink lots of water. It's easy to get dehydrated here. And lastly, less is more. You don't need to bring tons of toys. Most of the time little guys are fine with a sand toy or two and a float is nice to have so you can give your arms a break and enjoy a swim while pushing the little one in the float.

Beautiful, North...
Level Contributor
261 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to St John with toddler

^ Yup! Agree with all of that stjohnjulie....We went to Turks & Caicos with our little on last year.....So, we know about being diligent with the sunscreen, water etc. we often take trips to the beach with her, so we kinda know what she needs and doesn't need. Guess I'm looking for more specific to STJ itself as far as what to do/see. Easy walks/hikes in the park that anyone would suggest??

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
98 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to St John with toddler

We stayed on St. John all week with the exception of one day in STT. Something I owuld highly recommend if you don't already own one is a floater with a shade on it. You can find it by googling 'SwimWays Baby Spring Float Sun Canopy- Sea Animal Adventure'. My daughter absolutely loves it and it folds down into a tiny tiny container that easily fits in a suit case or carry on. With one of these you can take your child out into deeper water without holding them and they'll enjoy it. Really good product.