We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

while Caneel closed, can I still visit the beaches?

St. Louis...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
while Caneel closed, can I still visit the beaches?

When planning our first trip to St. John for September 2012, I read so many great things about Caneel Bay, I was ready to book. Then I found out about the seasonal closure Aug.26 - Nov.1. So is it possible to get to these fabulous 7 beaches of Caneel while the resort is closed?

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
773 Reviews
St. John
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: while Caneel closed, can I still visit the beaches?

Only the main beach and even then, you won't be able to park at Caneel, you will have to walk in from the road or via the Lind Point Trail.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: while Caneel closed, can I still visit the beaches?

Some friends were onisland last year when the resort was closed and they hiked in. They were asked to leave when they arrived as there was work being done in that area and it was not "safe" for visitors.

STJ has amazing beaches outside of Caneel. In 20 years of living and visiting, I have only been to the main beach and I have never felt as if I missed any of the beauty that STJ has to offer.

Cedar Point, North...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: while Caneel closed, can I still visit the beaches?

You should be able to walk in to visit the main beach and hike to Honeymoon. As Tink mentioned, you will need to park out on the road since the resort will be closed. Just check in at the guard shack and let them know where you are going.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: while Caneel closed, can I still visit the beaches?

If you were to hike through Caneel or hike down the trail to get to Honeymoon there is a building that has been abandoned for 30 years which has a new shop opening up next month. They rent kayaks and you could paddle around to the beach of interest from there.

5. Re: while Caneel closed, can I still visit the beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 15:35
Corydon, Indiana
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: while Caneel closed, can I still visit the beaches?

It's a coordinated effort with Virgin Islands eco-tours. Here's the introduction on Caneel's blogspot

…blogspot.com/2012/08/honeymoon-adventure-ca…

Mentioned in this post
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: while Caneel closed, can I still visit the beaches?

Yep thats the one. They definitely took this on Friday since it didn't look quite so put together on Thursday.

St. Louis...
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: while Caneel closed, can I still visit the beaches?

Thanks for all the great info everyone! We will definitely check it out!

9. Re: while Caneel closed, can I still visit the beaches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2013, 06:16