We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turks & Caicos or St. John

Los Angeles...
12 posts
Save Topic
Turks & Caicos or St. John

Hello everyone,

My boyfriend and I are deciding whether we should travel to T&I or St. John in January. Any input would be much appreciated! It is our first vacation to either one so we have no experience whatsoever on either Island. We would just love a nice romantic beautiful vacation with warm weather and it seems like we can't go wrong with either. We are both 28 years old.

Thank you!

michigan
Level Contributor
314 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turks & Caicos or St. John

SJ hands down. It is the postcard perfect beach scene you picture in fantasy. While the beaches/water lovely on Provo, it is flat, flat, flat and scrub, since it's so arid.

Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Turks & Caicos or St. John

Depends on what your are looking for:

a different beach every day, fantastic view around every turn and twist in the road....like an adventure in your jeep every day, great hiking trails, snorkeling from shore from most every beach....

then St John is for you...

if you want to stay directly on the beach and have room service, you might prefer T&C...

Los Angeles...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Turks & Caicos or St. John

Thank you! I'm leaning towards SJ...

Wolcott, Connecticut
Level Contributor
752 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turks & Caicos or St. John

St john is further south than T&I and maybe a little warmer. You may want to check the weather charts for average temps in January. We have been to both islands and they have 2 totally different vibes and types of vacations. STJ is more of an adventure and T&C, Grace Bay is more of a relaxing trip.

STJ unless you stay at one of the few resorts located on the water you will be traveling every day to go to the beach. The views are beautiful and the roads are very mountainous and have many twists and turns. Many of the roads up to villas are dirt and verrrrrry bumpy.The beaches are small compared to Grace Bay but they are very pretty. We really liked Cinnamon, Gibney, Francis, Hawksnest and Lameshur Beaches just to name a few.

Grace Bay is 1 of the most beautiful beaches we have been to, we will be traveling there in February for our 3rd year in a row, many options right on the water to stay at all different price points. The water is soooo turquoise and the sand is like sugar and you can walk for miles and miles.

We think both are great vacation destinations, you can't go wrong with either one of these fabulous places. Pick one for this trip and visit the other one on the next one......

5. Re: Turks & Caicos or St. John

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 October 2012, 21:05
Edited: 15 October 2012, 21:05
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turks & Caicos or St. John

I like both and as others have brought up, the islands are very different.

Provo (where most visitors stay) has many on the beach or very close to the beach lodging options. If that is important to you, Provo is a good choice. It is also easy to get there, you can be on the beach within a half hour of landing.

Provo is a much larger island and in some ways, reminds me of many resort areas of the Southern US. In the interior, there is a multi-lane highway with assorted big box type of stores, support services, banks, etc.

Two things keep us picking STJ over Provo (and T & C in general)

1.) STJ's lack of large scale development

2.) Cruz Bay. One of our favorite things about STJ (after the beaches) is going to town in the evening and strolling about before and after dinner. Provo doesn't have a town like that and getting to restaurants requires more of a commute than on STJ.

We enjoyed repeat vacations on both. We keep saying we are going to Provo again but once again, have booked for STJ for February.

If really warm weather and calm seas are important to you, January on Provo might be a tad risky. Our first trip was in January and we had one day of strong winds, high 60s and rough seas. The owner of the rental house said periods of that type of weather is common in the winter.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turks & Caicos or St. John

We love both.... in TCI we stay at Atlantic Ocean Beach Villas so not in the main part of Grace Bay and we love the location. I LOVE STJ it is my favorite island in the world. I like the Coral Bay side. Hmmm... I'm detecting a theme as it seems we never stay in the "more developed" area. But I have to say Grace Bay is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen in the Caribbean (I know it's in the Atlantic) or on the 4 main Hawaiian Islands.

You will enjoy either location and then pick the other one for your next trip. Donna

8. Re: Turks & Caicos or St. John

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 09:19