We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Late December too cold for snorkeling?

New York City, New...
14 posts
Save Topic
Late December too cold for snorkeling?

Is the water in late December going to be too cold for snorkeling? I am thinking of purchasing snorkeling gear before we fly to USVI and wondering whether it is worth the investment.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,972 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Late December too cold for snorkeling?

Not in the least.

B.

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
513 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Late December too cold for snorkeling?

Ditto

Indiana
Level Contributor
425 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Late December too cold for snorkeling?

We go in early Jan and find it fine for snorkeling. I do take a long sleeve raft shirt to snorkel in. If the sun is not out it can get a little chilly. They keep us from getting sunburn and warm.

Plaistow, New...
Level Contributor
172 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Late December too cold for snorkeling?

If specific temperature values would be helpful, the lowest ocean temperatures that I have measured, using a calibrated digital thermometer, were 79 F, in January. December would be a bit warmer. This contrasts with up to 87 F in August. Hope this helps.

Kevin

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,078 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Late December too cold for snorkeling?

Nope. But I do wear a long sleeve neoprene top. I do get chilly after awhile.

6. Re: Late December too cold for snorkeling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2013, 10:19