We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nurse Sharks?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nurse Sharks?

We came across an interesting find at Francis Bay when a turtle popped up on our way out of the water... We grabbed the goggles and camera and headed out to find him. We came across two nurse shark looking fish suctioned to the turtles shell while the turtle fed at the bottom and then they followed him as he resurfaced for air. We got a few good photos.

Are these in fact nurse sharks?

Latest review under:

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nurse Sharks?

Those are remoras.

Nurse Sharks are much larger and they stay along the bottom of the ocean floor, usually.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
5,027 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nurse Sharks?

Tinkerbelle is absolutely correct. You can see some big one under the boats moored in the bays.

B.

OK
Level Contributor
131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nurse Sharks?

We came across a nurse shark at Hawknest yesterday. About 7 feet long and we were about 8 feet away. He or she seemed to be sleeping and we were able to take our time and observe. Of course I didnt have my camera at the moment.

Edited: 09 November 2012, 13:14
Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
311 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nurse Sharks?

We saw nurse sharks at Leinster and Francis on our recent trip. I swam as fast as I could to try and get/keep them in frame for pictures, but they were doing their best to get the heck out of Dodge...

Chicopee...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Nurse Sharks?

I came across two nurse sharks at Haulover North in October, they were swimming when spotted. One went under a ledge and stayed there, the other was on an open sand bottom and started swimming when I approached. My video of them is here: https://vimeo.com/52803084

Photos are here: https:/…

I'll be putting some additional photos up soon. Oddly enough nurse shark bites are reported more often than other species, because they are nurse sharks some people thing they can grab and manhandle them. The bites themselves don't tend to be very serious, but they also hang on for a long time, bad for scuba and worse for free dives.

6. Re: Nurse Sharks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2013, 10:16