We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO security breach..Just a heads up**

Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
VRBO security breach..Just a heads up**

Posted this in another forum. Just wanted to share...stjchica~

Hey all...

Don't want to alarm anyone, etc..but wanted to give a heads up. I got an email today about a security breach within vrbo. I contacted the rental company and they confirmed it. They said multiple listings are involved...Apparently someone was intercepting emails, quoting a price that was hard to pass by and then asking that money be wired to England. I will enclose part of the email I received. They are working hard on this and have deactivated the listings involved to avoid more people from getting scammed. Just be cautious and deal directly via phone with a reputable rental company on St. John.

I called my rental company direct to verify everything was in order for our upcoming trip..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Traveler,

You recently sent an inquiry for the property referenced above. First, thank you for using our site. Unfortunately, we have reason to believe that the owner or property manager may have unknowingly and inadvertently had their email account compromised.

What this means for you specifically is that there’s a chance someone other than the actual owner or manager for the property may have viewed your inquiry and contacted you. This issue is commonly referred to as internet phishing. When we learned of this potential issue, as a precaution to you our traveler and also to protect our vacation property owner we temporarily deactivated this listing. We are currently in the process of working closely with the owner or property manager to assist with revising their account with us and reinstating this listing.

How this impacts you:

*If you sent money to book this property, you should contact the owner or property manager by calling the phone number included at the top of this message. We recommend that you do not communicate with the owner via email until the listing has been reinstated.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VRBO security breach..Just a heads up**

I believe that VRBO will reimburse a renter up to $1000 for a bogus rental if the renter calls the listing owner directly using the number in the listing. It isn't fool proof but it is easy to do.

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VRBO security breach..Just a heads up**

Email is a wonderful form of communication; but, a telephone call, preferably to a verifiable land line number, is good back up insurance.

BeautifulBill - Do you know whether or not the reimbursement policy applies for people who make the call after they have already been scammed through hijacked email? It was my understanding that VRBO prompted renters to make the call BEFORE they send money.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VRBO security breach..Just a heads up**

Yes , the phone call should be made before any money is sent I find that it is a good idea anyway for both sides to get to know each other a bit

Boston...
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas, East End
Level Contributor
3,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VRBO security breach..Just a heads up**

Yes , the phone call should be made before any money is sent I find that it is a good idea anyway for both sides to get to know each other a bit

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VRBO security breach..Just a heads up**

I always call the villa representative/owner before booking. I also use Tripadvisor to find others who have rented the villa and personal message them to get the inside scoop and find out about the owner. This way there is little chance of getting scammed. If I can't do this I never rent. Still, it always seems that there are imperfections with the villa that I did not expect but you just want to keep it at a minimum.

Rockwall, Texas
Level Contributor
892 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VRBO security breach..Just a heads up**

That was going on on VRBO this past spring, as well. We saw a listing in Peter Bay that seemed to good to be true . . . and it was! The house was WAY out of our price range, but a posting had it listed for an affordable price. In the reply the "owners" said we would be picked up at the airport and taken to the villa. Luckily I knew enough about St. John to know better! My husband was like, "If you can get THAT villa for that price, do it!" My radar was up though, thankfully! A couple days later VRBO contacted me saying it was a scam. Always call!!!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VRBO security breach..Just a heads up**

There are always people out there to rip you off, comsumer beware and follow the common sense suggestions made here.

Mike in Tulsa

8. Re: VRBO security breach..Just a heads up**

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2013, 10:17