We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report- 10/3-10/10

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
N. Illinois
Level Contributor
114 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report- 10/3-10/10

Good eveing,

Just got back from another awesome week on St.John. I will give a quick report and hope I don't get too lengthy.

First of all we stayed stayed at Sol Inclination in Fish Bay. This is a great place. We chose this villa because of we have had experience with the property manager before and we elected to choose one of his properties. We narrowed it down to a handful and let another couple(first timers) make the final call. No regrets! It was a fantastic villa. It was a pretty challenging drive to the top at first but nothing unusual for St. John after you get used to trusting your jeep. It was also all paved which helped a lot. There was a nice breeze at night that cooled everything down and knocked down the bugs. There was air but we never used it much.

We rented a Jeep from St. John Car Rental. Once again a good experience, a good vehichle and a good price. Was offered a substantial discount to settle up in cash. It's was nice to be able to use their parking lot on nights when we chose to wander around Cruz Bay.

Day 1- Arrived in St Thomas about 1:00 p.m. and Bazile met us for our taxi to Red Hook. I will never use anyone else. What a great personality to be welcomed to the island. We made the 2:00 ferry and got our Jeep from St. John Car Rental. We went to starfish to stock up and Marc was waiting for us when we came out so that we could follow him to the villa. We had already agreed we would just make some burgers and brats, something really simple, and get settled in and relax that night after a long day of travel. Villa was awesome, had our cheeseburgers in paradise, sat in the hotub a bit and hit the hay.

Day 2- Gave the first timers a tour of the basic layout of the island taking north shore road out to Coral Bay so they could get oriented and hear their gasps as we got to the top of each climb and made the corner for the next unbelievable view. We went to Francis bay first, spent a few hours there. I love this beach because there's is always so much going on in the water. Huge schools of feeder fish jumping while pompano and tarpon prowl around below and pelicans diving in overhead. I've seen just about everything on this beach snorkeling that you can think of including plenty of sea turtles and stingray. We left and had lunch at Skinny Legs after driving out to The Tourist Trap and being a bit miffed it wasn't open on Sunday or Monday like I have done every time we come to St.John. Stupid me. After lunch we made our way back to Cruz Bay and stopped at Hawksnest to finish our day. We talked to a local who recommended Joes Barbeque for dinner. Good call, it was delicious.

Day 3- Went on a private charter with Wesso on Two Fish Flying over to the BVI. Great, great trip. He worked his butt off to make us have a good time. I will give that day another post on the forum.

Day 4- Did Trunk in the morning until the tourist started to fill it up and then headed out to the Tourist Trap for lunch for some of Larry's great fish tacos and lobster rolls and Mary's great hospitality. After lunch we went to me and my wife's favorite beach, Maho. Just relaxed mostly but did see a lemon shark. Very cool. Don't remember where we ate that night but I'm sure it was good.

Day 5- It was our couple we traveled with's anniversary, so we agreed we would give them some alone time by either letting them take the jeep for the day or staying at the villa. They chose to stay at the villa and so my wife and I got up early and headed to Jumbie for our own alone time. Beach to ourself! Sweet! We agreed to come back in the afternoon and pick them up and head to another of our favs for a impromptu ceremony for them. We took them to Gibney all the way to the right where the palms hang over the water. We did a ceremony for them and I finally got to give him the diamonds he had me hide all week so he could suprise her with them. It was pretty cool. Picked up steaks that night and cooked them a special dinner at the villa. Great day!.

Day 6-This was our last beach day as we were leaving the next day. We headed to Cinnamon in the morning and just relaxed there most of the day. I had a great snorkel there. Saw a school of cuttlefish, that was awesome. Just sat there and floated over them forever. I wasn't expecting that. About 1:30 we headed back to the villa, showered and went back into town for some bar hopping and food sampling. Had a great time, but all of us really loved the food and atmosphere at Rhumblines. I will definately be going there more often next time we go back.

Day 7- Said good-bye to Sol Inclination headed into town, did some shopping, turned in the jeep and headed over to St. Thomas on the 12:00 ferry. Our flight was not until 5:45 so Bazile took us downtown and dropped us off to shop and eat and kept our bags in the taxi like he always does at no extra charge. We met them a few hours later and headed to the airport. After checking in, going through customs and security, and waiting for a few hours we found out there was a mechanical problem on our plane. Another hour or so later, our flight was cancelled. After a mad scramble of calling U.S. Airways and rescheduling for the next day and then waiting in line, we were forced to stay another day in paradise compliments of U.S. Airways! I guess I can think of worse places to be stranded. They put us up at the Beachcomber near the airport on St. Thomas. It wasn't the Ritz, but after a long day of waiting they had a bar, a beach, & rum. Good enough. We had prime rib on the beach with our vouchers from the airline and generally had a enjoyable night and stay.

Day 8- Got up late, we were tired from the ordeal the day before, sat at the bar til the afternoon and had a few drinks, then we were off to airport for our direct flight to suprisingly warm Chicago.

Successful trip!

Sorry so lengnthy!

St. John
Level Contributor
172 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report- 10/3-10/10

Nice trip report! I'm glad you wanted one of Marc's properties. He is our property manager and we couldn't be happier. Glad you had a wonderful vacation!

OK
Level Contributor
131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report- 10/3-10/10

Agree with Rhumblines, really enjoyed the food and atmosphere. Direct from Chicago, that's incredible!

Wilmington, DE
Level Contributor
499 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report- 10/3-10/10

Stayed at Sol in Feb...what a view!!!!!! Glad your trip was a success:)

Great Barrington, MA
Level Contributor
63 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report- 10/3-10/10

We are going in a few weeks. Bazile sounds like a great contact. How can I get his number?

Level Contributor
100 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report- 10/3-10/10

enjoyed your report...and not too long by any means....

N. Illinois
Level Contributor
114 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report- 10/3-10/10

Bazile's number is 340-771-5759

7. Re: Trip report- 10/3-10/10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 12:17