We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do any Cruz Bay rental agencies rent cars (not 4X4's)?

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
409 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Do any Cruz Bay rental agencies rent cars (not 4X4's)?

It seems that all Cruz Bay places rent are 4X4's. Is this true?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do any Cruz Bay rental agencies rent cars (not 4X4's)?

As far as I know, that is correct. When you get there you will know why.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do any Cruz Bay rental agencies rent cars (not 4X4's)?

I do not know of any STJ agencies that rent cars. Locals get around in them just fine but the agencies probably don't want the headache of replacing all the bits and pieces that the tourists would knock off!

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
409 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do any Cruz Bay rental agencies rent cars (not 4X4's)?

We're meeting up with family, and they are renting a car in St. Thomas, as they have done in the past. For us, this will be our first time driving on St. John, so I'm considering a 4X4, even though it's almost twice the price. Is it worth it?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,587 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do any Cruz Bay rental agencies rent cars (not 4X4's)?

I am the type that likes to avoid potential hassles so yes, I say it is worth it. A couple of things to consider -

Where are you staying? Some villas have more challenging access than others. Runted and/or steep dirt driveways might be a problem in a car.

What is your comfort level with "different" driving? If at all concerned, don't rent a car, get an SUV. It isn't so much the 4WD, it is the clearance. Unpaved parking lots and driveways tend to have deep holes and gulleys, you will bottom out in a car.

Car vs. SUV aside, this thread outlines some potential STT rental hassles -

tripadvisor.com/…45268308

Keep in mind, if something happens on STJ (flat tire, breakdown, lost keys) you are own your own and will need to make arrangements (at your cost) to correct or get the car back to STT.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
409 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do any Cruz Bay rental agencies rent cars (not 4X4's)?

My husband is comfortable driving, so that's not an issue. The villa owner says it is accessible by car; it's about 1 mi from the Cruz Bay ferry. Since we have 3 long flights to get to St. Thomas and arrive at 11 p.m. (and back home), we are spending the first and last nights in St. Thomas (Galleon Bay hotel). If we rent in St. John, I wonder how much cab fare will cost for us getting from the airport to hotel, hotel to ferry, and the other way around. We'll have a fair bit of luggage as well.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,861 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do any Cruz Bay rental agencies rent cars (not 4X4's)?

If you have never driven on STJ I suggest that you get a 4wd. The roads to some beaches are dirt and if there have been heavy rains, you may have issues with a car.

Check with whatever rental car company you are considering on STT, some only allow 4WD vehicles to go over to STJ.

What a PP said is correct, if you get a flat or have car trouble, you are on your own if you rent on STT and depending on what time of year it is, having a Cruz Bay Rental Car company with parking will save you time (and money) trying to find a place to park.

I recommend that the driver go to www.on-stjohn.com Do a search on Jeep Cam and watch all of the North Shore videos. Then let the driver decide their comfort level. This is the best one to start with

on-stjohn.com/2007/…

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
382 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Do any Cruz Bay rental agencies rent cars (not 4X4's)?

I would check with the STT car rental company to see if they will allow the car to go to STJ first. The company we rent from on STT specified to us we must have 4WD.

8. Re: Do any Cruz Bay rental agencies rent cars (not 4X4's)?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 04:15