We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overrated activities/restaurants/etc.

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Overrated activities/restaurants/etc.

I see lots of "must do" lists here. How about the opposite? What activity, restaurant, hike, location have you visited on St John that underwhelmed and you won't plan a repeat visit and why? Not looking to be negative, just am interested in spots that can be missed since I can't see and do everything in one trip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Overrated activities/restaurants/etc.

Asolare = Overrated for me.

I said it once and I'll say it again... for $50 my entree should have a better side than jasmine rice.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overrated activities/restaurants/etc.

Skinny Legs. I get that almost anything tastes great after a long day at the beach but I can't rave about Skinny's food. It isn't any better or worse, in my opinion, than most places on the island but most places have a better view and bathrooms that aren't vile.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overrated activities/restaurants/etc.

Definitely want to avoid vile bathrooms. Thanks for the feedback.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Overrated activities/restaurants/etc.

I think Skinny's is more about the vibe than the food.

My overrated list:

The Baths (never again)

Lime Inn (very average)

Waterlemon Cay (I know this won't be a popular opinion)

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overrated activities/restaurants/etc.

Hmmmm....that's an interesting topic! I had to think, but I do have some:

Deli Grotto - I think they're good but not fantastic. I really, really like Sam and Jack's much better. Never had their breakfast, I'm only judging sandwiches.

Lind Trail to Solomon/Honeymoon - I had depth perception issues because I was wearing contacts for snorkeling, and it was wet. Not a good combination for me. I'll pay and walk in from Caneel anytime.

Waterlemon Cay - Probably a great snorkel, based on reviews here, but we only did it our first trip, and I was scared by the current. Never did make it all the way around the Cay, and probably won't try again unless accompanied by an expert.

Very few disappointments, given that trip 5 or 6 is coming right up!

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
56 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overrated activities/restaurants/etc.

Thanks, these posts are exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for with this topic. Most spots have overall good feedback when reviewed individually so the comparisons with other spots are helpful, as are the comments about why certain places are not your favorites.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
33 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overrated activities/restaurants/etc.

Great question! I am headed there after Christmas and want to make the very best of my time. Keep the answers coming.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
3,025 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overrated activities/restaurants/etc.

Although The Baths are breath taking the first time you see them, 3 times has been enough.

Would rather spend more time on Jost.

Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overrated activities/restaurants/etc.

We thought Jost was overrated. We shouldn't have wasted a day away from St. John's beaches. They are just as beautiful.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
566 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overrated activities/restaurants/etc.

I'd have to say Salt Pond Bay. It's a perfectly nice beach and an okay snorkeling spot, but I've never understood why it would be anyone's favorite. On the plus side: lots of white sand and a handful of shaded picnic tables. On the minus side: the trail down to the beach (and even worse, back UP from the beach) is a death march - steep, airless and blazingly hot.

I'm not saying "Don't ever go there," just don't make it a priority to trek all the way across the island because you heard it was a don't-miss attraction. The main reason to snorkel Salt Pond, IMHO, is because the seas are rough on the north side. And in that case, there will be a lot of other people there and the picnic tables will all be taken.

A better reason to go there is for the Drunk Bay hike, which is an UNDER-appreciated attraction. And maybe the Ram Head hike if you like that kind of thing. But just for snorkeling it's nothing special.