We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Google maps, custom map created?

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Google maps, custom map created?

Hello I have never been to St. John, and would like to use google maps on my computer/app on my phone to make our trip smoother. Since I will have my data turned off on my phone, I can save a custom map offline and view it. My question is has anyone created, or know of a custom created map in google maps of the island? A created map is when someone familiar with the area marks out landmarks, restaurants, trails, beaches, etc. and saves the map to be viewed either as public or private.

When we went to Barbados a few years ago, I found someone who went through and created a wonderful map, color coded and everything of that island. It was very useful.

Hope I explained it right, let me know if I need to clarify! thanks

Edited: 18 December 2012, 20:54
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Google maps, custom map created?

While I have no idea what a custom Google Map is, I will tell you that St John has 2 main roads, a half dozen smaller " main" roads. All the others are residential roads that you will likely have no need to travel on.

While Google will tell you a route number or a street name, most locals will tell you they took the Northshore to Centerline.

It is pretty easy to get around the island, it is small!

2. Re: Google maps, custom map created?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 January 2013, 00:12
Kansas City...
Level Contributor
162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Google maps, custom map created?

Here's one that I believe was created for Villa locations.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

4. Re: Google maps, custom map created?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 January 2013, 00:12
Edited: 01 January 2013, 00:12
Ohio
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Google maps, custom map created?

I like your idea alot. I'm not very tech savvy, but I bet I could learn to use it.

Here's one that was created by VIOL owner, another St. John website, that has dining added:

virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgin-islands/…

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Google maps, custom map created?

Thanks for that link minde, I will take that file and collaborate it into the one I will be working on. Saves much time!!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,919 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Google maps, custom map created?

Bottom line, is don't worry about getting around or missing anything. As long as you are there for a few days, you will very quickly get used to the island, it's small with few roads. It shouldn't be work to get ready for a visit as far as getting around goes. Just make sure you get your car rented fairly soon so you don't end up with a bigger car (4 wheel drive is a must) than you need for just the two of you. But you will quickly feel at home I think once you get there. You will be on island time don't forget where many plans go out the window. You'll catch onto that pretty quickly also :)

Leesburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
96 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Google maps, custom map created?

Have you downloaded the St John app?

OK
Level Contributor
131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Google maps, custom map created?

Incredible...never would've thought. How did I miss that? ;)

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Google maps, custom map created?

St. John app...no I have not. Is it worth it?