We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February Crowds?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Hartford...
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
February Crowds?

Thinking about "sneaking down" to St John school vacation week in February. Had a few people tell me don't do it - too crowded and crazy that week. Is this true? We are a family of 4 (two teens) and the only comparison we have is we have been to Provo a bunch of times and love the island/no crowds of people there.

Thanks Guys!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,835 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: February Crowds?

It will be quite busy. If you plan to go, you need to reserve a vehicle NOW (if you can even find one).

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: February Crowds?

It will be busy, no question, but not like Disney busy! Restaurants and store will be busy but I think that you will always be able to find a quieter beach.

I agree that the most important thing to do is to rent a jeep now, they go VERY fast during that week.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,387 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: February Crowds?

We were there last year during school break. The only time it bothered me was one day at Hawksnest when it was packed. Otherwise, it felt like a typical high season week. I have been to Provo in the winter and the summer so i know what you mean about lack of crowds on the beach. Stj beaches are smaller (and there are more of them) so it will seem like you are seeing more people.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,660 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: February Crowds?

If it is Presidents Day "week" it will be crazy busy. Last year I counted 46 cars at Leinster Bay - no parking/very creative parking at the beaches if you arrived late morning (National Park were issuing tickets like crazy) no parking in town etc but having said that still the most beautiful island I have ever visited and now live :). If you are patient and don't mind crowds come on down :)

Pia

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
706 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: February Crowds?

Busy for sure but not crazy. You will want to plan ahead a bit, i.e. make reservations at restaurants you really want to go to, and definitely make car reservations. I've been there half a dozen times during that time and would not hesitate. More people, but even with 46 cars, that's still maybe 150 people spread around which is still way less than popular beaches stateside. Besides, they were probably hiding out from the daytripping cruise shippers.

Well worth the little extra planning IMO.

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
390 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: February Crowds?

We were there last February and were pleasantly surprised at the lack of crowds. We are from the DC metro area so that may skew our opinion of crowds. We had many mornings on Maho Bay to ourselves and we never waited for a table. I found a villa and Jeep rental just five weeks before arrival. Have fun and Merry Christmas. ...and Go Redskins!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
259 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: February Crowds?

I don't think it will be so bad--seasonally its the high season but most US spring breaks and school breaks fall during March and April so that shouldn't be a problem. We usually visit the Caribbean during late Feb and early March and rarely see huge crowds unless you are in a cruise ship area. The only place we saw crowds in Feb in the Virgin Islands was at the Baths in Virgin Gorda.

Have fun!

8. Re: February Crowds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2013, 10:15