We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking/Snorkeling Question

New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking/Snorkeling Question

Getting ready for first STJ trip. I have a question about kayaking around the Coral Bay area. Are their places to pull up on shore and then snorkel or is it just as easy to snorkel from land?

Thanks.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking/Snorkeling Question

Hmmmm..... Where are you putting in at? I've seen kayaks at Haulover, but it would be just as easy to snorkel from shore there. Vie has a couple of kayaks to rent, but again, it's easier to just walk in the water. I can't think of anyplace that would be easier to kayak to than just enter from shore, but I don't know the South shore at all.

Mattapoisett, MA
Level Contributor
674 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking/Snorkeling Question

We have rented kayaks from Crabby's a couple of times and kayaked in hurricane hole. There is some very good mangrove snorkeling in there. If you have never done that it is an experience. You see the fish nurseries and mini coral. Ask at Crabby's and he will tell you where.

Sue

Hartford, CT
Level Contributor
706 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking/Snorkeling Question

Kayaks are a fabulous way to get around but I would be careful to pick a day/time when the water is really calm. We kayak alot in Coral Bay and unless you are fairly experienced, be prepared to learn how to get back into a capsized kayak. That being said, it is awesome to kayak out to Hurricane Hole, or even Turner's Point. In Hurricane Hole, there's some difficulty in finding a place to land, you'll have to look for an opening in the mangroves which grow all along the perimeter, but that's why it's a fish nursery. Turner's Point is little known, the water may be a bit choppy so be sure it's a calm day. There is some beach area there so you'll have to be careful and pick a spot to land. Princess Bay is nice too, especially on the left side, there is some beach area to land. You can also paddle over to Skinny Legs and land for some lunch. Always fun.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,728 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking/Snorkeling Question

HI to Sueoz from Wareham and Foxboro and Fairhaven- when you kayak into Hurricane Hole, is there actually a place to secure your kayak? We went there by boat once and I don't recall a place where you could pull up a kayak and later be able to get back into it. We would LOVE to snorkle there again due to the diversity of flora and fauna if we know how to manage the kayak issue. Thanks

5. Re: Kayaking/Snorkeling Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 January 2014, 22:17