We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using the vacation home rental sites

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,620 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Using the vacation home rental sites

I've been looking at VRBO.com and am wondering if anyone knows the difference between a house and a villa in the descriptions.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,047 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using the vacation home rental sites

The word villa is a fancy word for house!

Just be sure that you do not wire money for payment!

Duluth, Minnesota
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Using the vacation home rental sites

Why would you not wire money?

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using the vacation home rental sites

You should not wire money because asking for payment by that method is a notorious symptom of a scam.

This should not put you off using VRBO, which is quite reputable and has lots of great listings. But apparently it's possible to get illegitimate listings posted there.

Edited: 03 January 2013, 21:44
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,664 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using the vacation home rental sites

If the owner does not except a credit card, check or take payment through PayPal, move on. I've used VRBO 4 times now in 3 years with good experiences. I have another place reserved in Belize for May and hopefully that will be seamless as well. Be sure you ask lots of questions and you are satisfied with the answers. I speak to the owner by phone more then once as well as e-mail before making the reservation or sending deposit. If I don't receive prompt call backs/replies, I find something else. Also ask for references if it is a new listing.

As others have stated, NEVER wire money.

Mentioned in this post
Belize
Belize
Central America
5. Re: Using the vacation home rental sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 03:17