We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping amount

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
61 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping amount

What is the etiquette for tipping villa greeters? Our greeter will be meeting us in Cruz Bay and taking us to our Coral Bay villa. He has also generously offered to allow me to ship a package containing sunscreen, toiletries, etc to his address and bring it when he meets us.

What would an appropriate tip amount be for this?

Roseville, MN
Level Contributor
125 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping amount

We have tipped $20 the last two times we have been there. While some might say it is their "Job" to meet you they take the time to make sure you get your rental car, know how to get to your villa, how things operate at the villa, and usually a few other odds and ends. Last year we were delayed getting to our villa due to a water truck accident. Our greater gave us his cell phone number so we could check on the road status and got us to the villa after the accident had cleared. This was well into the evening and he still took time to make sure we were set.

Remember that in some cases your greater might be the person who is the on-call repair man for your villa and in our case we needed him and I think paying a reasonable amount helped out with a prompt response. I tipped him a little more that night as he really went out of his way to work on the repair. We made sure that we bought him a few beers when we saw him later that week at the bar :)

If they go out of their way to help you I would not hesitate to tip a little more.

Edited: 05 January 2013, 22:47
Chester, Maryland
Level Contributor
426 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping amount

We tip $20 if we are staying in a villa and $10 for Grande Bay. The greeter always seem very happy with the tip and sometimes surprised. My guess is that probably more often than not they don't get tipped.

The one time we stayed in Coral Bay we had already been on the island for 3 days at Grande Bay and had our car so the greeter didn't need to come to town, we just met at Shipwreck Landing. I would probably tip a little more if they met me at the ferry, stopped at the market and then took us to Coral Bay.

Have a great trip!

California
Level Contributor
6,464 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping amount

We also tip $20. for a greeter. As for shipping things ahead of time, many people do what you are doing but several years ago someone on this site gave us the idea of checking in a nylon duffel bag onto our flight ($25. fee) with everything from food, snacks, lotion you name it!

We use a large inexpensive nylon duffel bag and stuff it with nearly 40 pounds of stuff. (we have kids also) The bag always arrives with our luggage and saves us a ton of money from shopping as soon as we get there. On the return trip just fold it up and pack it in your luggage. The $25. baggage fee will still be cheaper than buying the stuff there.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping amount

We do not tip unless we are extended a courtesy beyond their job. Part of the villa price includes a greeter. Unless they offer to stop at the store or help with luggage, they do not get a tip.

We once had a greeter that told us she was not sure where anything was in the house since she had never been there befoe but we could call the office the next day if we needed assistance. She did not get a tip.

We had another greeter stop at the store for us and carried most of our bags into the villa for us. He got a tip.

5. Re: Tipping amount

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 January 2014, 06:17