We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ac needed?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lenexa, Kansas
4 posts
Save Topic
Ac needed?

Wanting to stay in the Upper Carolina area near Coral Bay in May. Some of the villas we are looking at have no AC. It would cost us significantly more to get a villa with ac. Is it breezy enough or will we be suffering through the night. I know it is hotter that time of year so any info to help us make a decision would be helpful.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
412 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ac needed?

We have been traveling to Saint John for well over 20 years. We need AC. After a long day in the sun, it's nice! It can be very warm at night, so AC is great to sleep with, especially after sun burn! Have a great time!

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
412 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ac needed?

We have been traveling to Saint John for well over 20 years. We need AC. After a long day in the sun, it's nice! It can be very warm at night, so AC is great to sleep with, especially after sun burn! Have a great time!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ac needed?

Its always hard to say and depends on night breezes. I personally would hold out for AC but maybe you won't need it. I would say that if you have a medical condition that requires you to sleep in a cool dry room then hold out but if you can tough it out in the event of a hot night then go ahead. We got AC in the bedroom at a villa we rented last December and never had to put it on but on a previous trip, staying at Concordia (ecotents) I would have given up my first born child for it.

Lenexa, Kansas
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ac needed?

Thanks for the info. I and the kids would be alright without the ac but my wife says if we are spending this kind of money on vacation she should not have a villa without it.

Grand Isle, VT
Level Contributor
235 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ac needed?

We have stayed in Upper Carolina a few years ago at the end of March. It was the only time in our 15 years of going to STJ that I thought I needed a sweater in the evenings. That being said, the pool was always "refreshing." Depending on where you are on Upper Carolina, if there is any breeze at all, you will get it. We live in the northeast and are not accustomed to AC but if I were to rent again on Upper Carolina, AC would NOT be a priority.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ac needed?

We are going to be staying in Casa Ya Ya (end of June) which I believe is on Bordeaux Mtn Rd RTE 108 possibly off Bay Forest Rd about halfway down/up from Coral Bay.

We are wondering if the trade winds will be enough to keep us "cool" at night. The pics lead me to believe that it will be in shade in late afternoon, early enough to allow the house to cool before bedtime.

We have one person in our group that is worried it will be to hot to sleep without AC. Again we are going in late June.

Mike in Tulsa

OK
Level Contributor
131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ac needed?

We needed A/C and did not have it. We faced west with great sunsets and lots of sun exposure after 11am. I think from now on we will choose a villa with A/C at least in the bedrooms. While we were there the prevailing winds were from east to west, plus we had the top of the bluff right behind us. So any breeze went right over the top of us from behind the villa towards St. Thomas.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ac needed?

This villa is on the east side of the ridge on the coral bay side right above the Aqua Bistro and is situated about half way up the hill and the bedrooms face east as well. I believe it will be shaded around 4 or so and from what others have said the breeze is constant so I am pretty confident we won't miss AC.

We have stayed a number of times at Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina condo's and always left the doors open for the breeze and were never hot at night. It did get warm during the day, but we were only in the unit to refill our beverages so it wasn't a problem.

Casa Ya Ya is built with an open air theme.

http://casayaya.com/#_

I was mainly interested to hear from those that have stayed on the coral bay side of St John who could speak to the breezes and when the shade starts taking over the hillside.

Mike in Tulsa

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ac needed?

I can not stay in a villa without AC in the bedroom. No matter the time of year.

One December trip we did not need it for temperature comfort but we did need it in order to sleep. The darm resident rooster had no idea when he was supposed to crow, so it was all night. Without the AC, we never would have slept.

We stayed in Coral Bay last April at One Particular Harbor. About as high up as you can get on the road opposite Island Blues.

We needed the AC mainly because the sunrise was a direct hit on the bedroom windows and the room got hot super quick super early

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ac needed?

Location and house design make all the difference. I have stayed in older (pre-1960s) houses on STJ and Caneel in the pre-AC days and even in the summer, we were fine without AC.

Then we stayed in a house with a wall of windows that heated up like an oven in January. Then I understood why AC can sometimes be needed.

If you like AC at home, don't risk it. Pick a place with AC in the bedroom.