We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis vs rental - traveling with small kids

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Taxis vs rental - traveling with small kids

Hello! I'm planning on traveling with a 1yro and a 4yro to St. John's this April. First time we'll be there! I had planned on using taxis. We'll be renting a villa and it does have parking, but calling a taxi seemed simpler than trying to find beaches and parking with two small kids. There will also be three adults total.

Questions:

Can you easily call a taxi to go to beaches and home again?

The open air ones seem a bit risky with two kids and no seatbelts. can we get "regular" taxis?

Has anyone rented and found the island hard or easy to navigate?

Tips! Help!

Thank you!

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxis vs rental - traveling with small kids

RENT A JEEP!

1.Taxis will not go to all areas of the island, depending on where you are staying this may not even be an option

2. Cell phone service is iffy at many beaches, you could get stranded

3. All taxi's are open air with no seat belts

4. The speed limit is 25mph and while the roads are steep and curvy, they are easy to navigate if you take your time

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxis vs rental - traveling with small kids

We started taking our son to STJ at 4.5 months old. Answering your questions based on pre- and post-kiddo experience:

Most beaches are located right along the road or a short (but clearly marked) distance from the main road. Parking earlier in the day is generally not a problem.

Can you easily call a taxi to go to beaches and home again?

Not really. The taxis are sort of picky about where they will go. They don't like to go on the dirt roads or too far off the beaten path. Depending on where your villa is located, it could be not so hard or close to impossible to get a cab.

With four people, you very well may spend more on taxis than a vehicle rental for the day.

The open air ones seem a bit risky with two kids and no seatbelts. can we get "regular" taxis?

I have not seen a "closed" taxi on STJ. Not to say there isn't but I have only seen the open air type.

Has anyone rented and found the island hard or easy to navigate?

The island is very easy to navigate. All the roads are paved and there just a few "main" roads so it is sort of hard to get lost. While there are steep and winding spots, max speed is 25 or so mph and traffic moves slowly.

Edited: 09 January 2013, 18:11
Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,012 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxis vs rental - traveling with small kids

Tinkerbell beat me to it, but I will add:

5. Taxis charge per person, including kids. You will spend a lot more using taxis than renting your own vehicle.

6. I can't imagine loading up beach chairs, cooler, beach bag and stuff for kids onto a taxi for every trip. We load our chairs into the back of the Jeep (Liberty) and leave them there at the end of the day so they are ready to go the next day.

Reserve your vehicle NOW!

Edited: 09 January 2013, 18:16
Chicago
Level Contributor
194 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxis vs rental - traveling with small kids

Will agree with what everyone else posted. Also, if you do rent a jeep, you can rent child carseats from Christy's on St John. They will deliver them to your rental agency and pick them up from there. We have always found the seats to be in very good condition (especially compared to any that the rental agencies may have lying around... which is no guarantee anyway.)

Happy travels! St John is great with kids.

5. Re: Taxis vs rental - traveling with small kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2014, 07:16