We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

After one week in St John, then where?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
After one week in St John, then where?

Husband and myself will be spending 1 week in St John and then would like to either spend the 2nd week in Anguilla or Virgin Gorda. We are in our late 50's and basically just want to see another place instead of spending the entire time on one island. We like to relax, snorkel lightly :) and just "pretend" we live there. Which would you recommend?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: After one week in St John, then where?

We enjoyed both Anguilla and Virgin Gorda but since you are leaving from STJ, I would recommend Virgin Gorda. It will be much easier to reach Virgin Gorda from STJ via the ferry system. Anguilla will require a charter from STT or flying back to San Juan and either a flight to St. Martin or a charter to Anguilla.

Boston
Level Contributor
5,981 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: After one week in St John, then where?

I think you can fly from EIS (Tortola) to SXM St Maarten. I can highly recommend Virgin Gorda and if you like snorkeling you should look at staying at Mahoe Bay which has a double reef system. I have never been to Anguilla but it is on my list. I do know that they have fantastic restaurants if that is of interest to you.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: After one week in St John, then where?

The BVI's are going to be the easies logistically. You can take a ferry from St John. Anguilla is an excellent choice. I believe you can fly LIAT from ST Thomas to Antigua then back up to Anguilla.

Liat.com

Mike in Tulsa

Cedar Point, North...
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: After one week in St John, then where?

We have done the STJ/VG split a few times. I think that would be the easiest and most economical choice.

There isn't very much Snorkeling on Anguilla, but the beaches are amazing for just relaxing. We usually save Anguilla for our trips to St Martin.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: After one week in St John, then where?

Actually, we've been told we could fly via LIAT from St Thomas straight to Anguilla.

Do you all feel Virgin Gorda is too much like St John?

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
14,512 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: After one week in St John, then where?

Just be aware that LIAT isn't the most reliable airline. Leave Island Any Time (at their convenience) coupled with simply no-shows at times!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: After one week in St John, then where?

I have only been to VG for the Baths so I can't comment on the island as a whole. My family did an Anguilla/STJ trip in 2008. We stayed in Anguilla for 3 nights for our vow renewal then flew from SXM to STT. The flight was easy and on time. We love the beaches and restaurants in Anguilla! It is so nice to have great food and drinks 20 steps away from your chaise lounge on a gorgeous beach. Lots of places have regular live music too. The only downside is there is no town like Cruz Bay to walk around. We have enjoyed good snorkeling at Shoal Bay East, Sandy Hill Bay and Little Bay, though it's not as good as STJ ( large variety of fish and turtles but not as good coral ).

Nantucket...
Level Contributor
90 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: After one week in St John, then where?

After a week on St. John, I'd recommend packing your belongings and heading over to Coral Bay. Spend the next week on that side of the island perfecting the art of relaxing!

Duxbury...
Level Contributor
337 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: After one week in St John, then where?

I have been to St John many times but to Virgin Gorda about 3 or 4 times for day trips to the baths-we did take the ferry so we got to ride through some of the island. It is a lot less developed than St John(town was smaller not as many villas etc) and from what I could see and have read much less crowded. You won't have as many restaurants to choose from but the atmosphere in the BVI's is different. We stayed in Tortolla for a week once and the culture is different and I am guessing that Virgin Gorda will be the same in that respect.

10. Re: After one week in St John, then where?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 06:18