We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No smoking on beaches

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,887 posts
1 review
Save Topic
No smoking on beaches

As of today new park rules - no smoking on any beach within 50' of the waterline both directions

stthomassource.com/content/news/local-news/2…

Pia

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,107 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No smoking on beaches

It's excellent news of a ban which was implemented very quickly after it was first introduced. As I opined in an earlier thread on the subject, I hope this will provide impetus for the general USVI smoking ban to be likewise extended!

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No smoking on beaches

Thank you!!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No smoking on beaches

I'm unhappy with this legislation. My husband smokes. He doesn't smoke near anyone, and he is meticulous about putting his butts in a bottle with water in it, that we lug around with us. He puts buts he finds in the same bottle.

I think they should have made LITTERING the problem, and set HIGH fines for littering anything, including cigarette butts.

My 2 cents....

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No smoking on beaches

Not everyone is as considerate as you and your husband. I agree it is more of a littering problem but enforcing it would be very difficult. Another consideration is having to smell 2nd hand smoke in such a natural environment. When we sit outside at a table for dinner and someone next to us is smoking, the smell is offensive and ruins my dining experience. We always try to move our table when this happens.

north carolina
Level Contributor
426 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No smoking on beaches

Awesome!!!!

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,107 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No smoking on beaches

mindehankins, the cost of having paid "litterbugs" on every beach throughout the islands would be alarmingly prohibitive. The USVI already implemented a no smoking ban here including restrictions on smoking on the beach but the NPS has gone further with their rulings on the beaches under their jurisdiction. If you've ever been down at Magens - for instance - early in the morning before the tide comes up you'll see a ghastly long line of cigarette butts along it's whole mile-long stretch. The workers there (along with many early morning walkers) pick them up but a new batch is right back there at the next tide. For all the "good" smokers there are a dozen "bad" and our fragile and rapidly decaying marine environment needs all the help it can get. If you can't manage to go without a smoke for a couple of hours on the beach then get some nicotine gum or lozenges - they do work!

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
61 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No smoking on beaches

Definitely happy about this. Most other beaches I regularly visit in Delaware and Florida banned smoking years ago, and it dramatically improves the beach experience for everyone. The fact is that second-hand smoke is very bothersome to most non-smokers, and the smoke is noticable a good distance away from the smoker, depending upon the breeze.

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No smoking on beaches

I smoke cigars, and do so on the beach. However, I am mindful of others and the winds and usually do not light up until 4 or 5 pm or later when I can find a quiet place far away from the few remaining people on the beach. Cigars, being made only of leaf and having no filters are 100% biodegradable. If one is put out and buried in the sand the "butt" usually falls apart and into bits of leaves. That said, I do wonder how 50 feet from the water line, a scant 17 yards will be an effective law. Hopefully it will prevent cigarette butts from washing up on shore, and maybe deter some from smoking, but for those stuck around inconsiderate smokers, it won't do a lot to alleviate second hand smoke. There are places at nearly every National Park beach on STJ where someone can find a spot 17 yards from the water.

As an aside to this, nothing drives me crazier than litterers. Driving around town here, especially on country roads outside of town and seeing the beer cans and Burger King bags scattered about as though the earth is a trash can makes me furious, almost as much as watching the person ahead of me at a stop light when they roll down the window and flick a lit butt out onto the street. Sadly, often the local police parked near the light watch this and do nothing. I don't understand this. (Especially why someone would throw their fast food bag or soda can out a window onto the road out in the country.)

United States
Level Contributor
227 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No smoking on beaches

I'm very excited about the law. I see so many folks leaving their butts in the sand, oblivious to litter....

And please do more research on cigars. Studies show they are more dangerous than cigarettes.

Last week at Salt Pond Bay I had to move twice to get away from second hand smoke, I stepped on a lit butt discarded in the sand --- next time I can defend myself by stating the law.

NY metro
Level Contributor
566 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No smoking on beaches

I smoke 2-3 cigars a week and up that to one a day on vacation and I have done so on the beach, but no longer. Once I started getting the stinkeye from people sitting 20-30 yards away, I stopped.

The point is to have a relaxing smoke over a 30-60 minute period. This is hardly the case if your smoke is offensive to those nearby. Simple politeness dictates that as there is one of me and many of them; I should be the one to change.

But the main reason is the outdoor breeze. Simply not good for a stick that costs between 10-20 bucks or sometimes more.

I now stick to the deck/lanai. Or stroll in a relaxing environment away from people where the breeze won't ruin the smoke.

Cigarettes? Absolute killers. I was a 2 pack a day smoker and witnessed too many near and dear compromised by emphysema.