We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 1/31 - 2/12

Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Trip Report 1/31 - 2/12

Just returned from our extended vacation thanks to bad weather in Boston. There was a group of 12 of us all arriving at different times. We took our adult children to show them the place we loved so much. They are hooked now too but will need to get there on their own from now own!

Started with drinks from Bones (YUM) once we got off the ferry and then to the Beach Bar. We were staying in Coral Bay so had to drag them out to get our car at STJ Car Rental (always have great service with them). Quick drink at Aqua Bistro and pick up some supplies (beer) at Lilly’s and up the mountain. It was a week of beaches: Maho, Jumbie, Francis, Trunk, Cinnamon and Lampshire. Still can’t pick a favorite! Food and drinks at Aqua Bistro were amazing. The rib eye was as big as my head. The new owners at Skinny Legs were very friendly. Check out 420 were the old Larry’s Landing was across from the Beach Bar for very reasonable food and drinks. New owner, show him some love. We went twice to Shipwreck Landing because we love the location there but for the fifth year in a row left feeling the wait staff there was borderline rude. Smile, you’re in paradise!!! We had planned for 12 of us to go to BVI’s Wednesday but the boat we had booked had engine problems so they we great and found us a private trip abound Bad Kitty. As usual, it was the highlight of our trip. Many “this is the best day of my life” comments! Thanks for coming to our rescue Bad Kitty.

Found out at the airport Saturday night we couldn’t get home until Tuesday so spend a few days in Puerto Rice. Had a great time but there is no place like STJ.

Rockville, Maryland
Level Contributor
439 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 1/31 - 2/12

Sounds like a great trip. But then again, every trip to Saint John is awesome! Come on September!! I had to stay in Saint John and extra day one year, due to a storm here in Maryland! It was great!!!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 1/31 - 2/12

Great trip! Great report!

Would you share your impressions of Puerto Rico, and had you been there before?

Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 1/31 - 2/12

We loved it and to be honest before we never even considerd going there. Old San Juan is amazing, history and great little places to eat and drink. We stayed at La Concha resort which was beautiful. It was nice to walk downstairs and have 3 pools and the beach right there! We felt safe and everyone was very friendly. But our hearts will always be in STJ.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 1/31 - 2/12

We were in Rincon over 2 years ago and enjoyed it but there is no comparison whatsoever with St John. Still, it is laid back, friendly, and overall much less expensive. In the winter there is some heavy duty surfing but no snorkeling.

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 1/31 - 2/12

Thanks for sharing the trip report. I haven't been there in a few years but will forever remember one stop there around 4:30pm or son on the way home from Salt Pond and having their Fish N Chips. They were SO good.

I am curious, if your airline helped with costs of San Juan stay at all or if you were compensated at all due to weather related issues. I am also real curious for people who would not fly out of Boston and Hartford this past weekend of 2/8 - 2/10 how it played out for them!

Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 1/31 - 2/12

I had the fish and chips too and it is still great. I just wish maybe the bartenders there would learn to smile!!!

No, nothing from the airline. "Act of God", I hope God remembers this when I pray for some help with the Visa bill next month!!

Portsmouth, New...
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 1/31 - 2/12

Cool. Good to know those are still good. Sorry to hear about the service. Must have run into a fellow human havin' a bad moment. Sorry too, about the lack of airline help but thank you for sayinghow they handled that.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,125 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 1/31 - 2/12

I'm curious, did the airline send another (extra) plane on Tuesday? Every flight we've taken in the last ten or more years, whether from STT or SJU, have been packed no matter what day of the week.

Boston...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 1/31 - 2/12

We were scheduled to leave STT Saturday afternoon and connect in PR, landing in Boston at 10PM. We heard Logan was planning on opening late Saturday so we gambled. However, once we got to the airport we were told it was a no-go. They gate attendant was very helpful trying to get everyone a flight out. We decided to keep the STT-PR flight assuming since it was a larger airport we might get have more options.. He did book us the earliest flight to Boston (6 AM Tuesday). We did call JetBlue from PR and that was still the best they could do. We did see people connecting from PR to Fort Lauderdale but that flight wasn't landing until after midnight and getting to Boston was iffy for Monday. Friends traveling with us were booked for a Friday departure but they realized Thursday that that wasn't happening so they called Jetblue then and the earliest they could get out was Monday evening. That flight was delayed 4 hours due to weather on te East Coast. I do not think they bought in an additional planes. The price we pay for traveling in Feb!!! We did talk to people who were not flying JetBlue and their airlines arranged for them to fly on other carriers but when we asked if that was a possibility in PR they said JetBlue we were told no.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 18:39
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
1,417 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 1/31 - 2/12

Yeah, it really stinks getting stuck in the Caribbean due to bad weather at home. Sounds like you had a great time.