We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa rental scam-please be careful

Syracuse
Level Contributor
473 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Villa rental scam-please be careful

A potential guest contacted me the other day about a website rentalsvacationholidays.com. That was advertising my villa, Bay Rum breeze. The guest was wary: the address was in the uk, they were offering 30%,discount for a booking this month, with a 100% cancellation policy. The guest emailed the company and received a response from them. Luckily he was still unsure and was able to find the true website and contact me.

I have also heard that there are scammers on the rental section of Craigslist in St. John.

Spencerport, New...
Level Contributor
575 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa rental scam-please be careful

Ugh, this sucks!

2. Re: Villa rental scam-please be careful

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 March 2014, 12:35
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa rental scam-please be careful

Thanks for letting us know!

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa rental scam-please be careful

It's still showing on their website:

rentalsvacationholidays.com/property-h43892-…

Isn't there a way for you to make them take it down? How awful!

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa rental scam-please be careful

What was the scam about? that company doesnt exist? they take your money and you dont know where to find them? they take peoples posting advertised them and when they get the money you cant find them?

northern nj
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa rental scam-please be careful

I have rented directly through an owner but do prefer to use the on island rental agents. At least I know they are reputable.

Glad the potential renter did his homework.

SE USA
Level Contributor
753 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa rental scam-please be careful

I received an email from them too...I figured it was bogus and I had already chosen another villa. You have to watch out for warning signs...the things that made me suspect this one was- they didn't have the name of the villa anywhere, it was in the UK, and the price looked too good to be true.

If it looks suspicious, proceed with caution!

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa rental scam-please be careful

I received the same email! Mine provided me a link to this website. http://www.bookhomerentals.com/ and the exact "villa" I was interested in was linked to this: bookhomerentals.com/property-h43892-coral-ba…

Thank you all for posting this. I figured it was a scam but this helped big time!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,037 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa rental scam-please be careful

Another big red flag is that if you look at the calendar for any of the properties on that website, they are all available all the time. There are no bookings, no weeks when they are unavailable.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,037 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa rental scam-please be careful

Also, their address is not written correctly. No one in the UK would write their address like that. It is completely wrong.