We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to buy alcohol

Caledonia, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to buy alcohol

For a villa rental vacation, where do the smart folks go to buy their booze? I remember from last year that Starfish Market had a good selection of wine but also seem to remember reading here that there was a good liquor store (maybe near the tennis courts?).

We like good wine, both white and red and t he occasional beer. We'll also be bringing our own blender for making those wild rum drinks.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to buy alcohol

Now there's a good topic!

I am planning on buying most of our wine, rum, etc... on St Thomas, as I have heard it's much cheaper there. Apparently, there's a Cost-U-Less with reportedly a very good selection right at the Red Hook Ferry. I'm counting on it, anyhow, since that's where we are planning on geting all of our wedding booze! (hint: if anyone knows differently, now would be a good time to speak up!)

Hudson Valley,NY
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to buy alcohol

I've always used Mixology which is located in the Lumberyard complex. BigMac - most villas have a blender. Check with your agent before lugging your own.

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to buy alcohol

Hey PC99,

The Cost-u-Less is not at Red Hook - it's on the way to Red Hook - but not there. It is located next to Home Depot and close to TuTu mall approx 10 mins by car from the ferry.

BigMaclain, I think the wine store you are refering to was Marina Market which unfortunatley closed down some time ago. You can get wine at Starfish (good selection) but it is not cheap - although they do sell Red Truck ($10.00 per glass at Tage) both red and white for $10.00 per bottle - that is pretty good to me - and it is located just as you enter the store stacked in the produce section :) not in the wine section (go figure) You can also try Pine Peace as I hear they have good prices. Now rum that's another topic - cheap everywhere :) Also check your villa (if staying in a villa) as they all usually have a blender for you to use.

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to buy alcohol

Pia, many thanks... that will surely help us plan our "attack"! You helped us in the past with wedding questions/Gibney, etc and we still refer to your pictures on occasion when we have ideas/questions about the property!

Caledonia, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to buy alcohol

Thanks, Pia. Marina Market was the place I was thinking of. if I remember right, it was on the left on the road back from Cruz Bay to the Westin?

Anyway, I do remember Mixology from my last trip and even have a photo of it here: www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne…

Caledonia, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to buy alcohol

www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne…

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to buy alcohol

Hey PC99

Glad I could help :) are you getting married at Gibney? if so congratulations you have picked a beautiful place - if not congratulations you have picked a beautiful place :) - the whole island is beautiful, especially for a wedding. You may want to check out some more of our pictures- no more of Gibney, but lots of updated photos of the house - it actually is livable now :) Let me know if you have anymore wedding questions, I'll be glad to help. ps: if you are in need of good champagne for the wedding "Lilly's" in Coral Bay has Vieve Cliquot for $34.99 - cheaper than on STT and it's $52.00 in Cruz Bay :)

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to buy alcohol

Hey BigMclain,

Yep you are right it was on the way out of "town" on the left just before The Marketplace on the way to the Westin. Mixology is good but does not have a huge selection of wine. Another place you can try is Dolphin market - they are under new ownership and have a very nice selection of wines but can't help you on prices..sorry (tend to stick to Red Truck)

9. Re: Best place to buy alcohol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 12:18