We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bank transfer for villa payment?

Boston...
3 posts
Save Topic
Bank transfer for villa payment?

I requested rate information for a villa through vrbo. In a response email I was told that payment is only accepted through bank transfer. Is this this safe? What else can I do to protect myself if they don't accept credit cards?

SE USA
Level Contributor
753 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bank transfer for villa payment?

Be careful to proceed with caution and make sure you know who you are dealing with. You are hopefully talking about using Paypal?

Boston
Level Contributor
6,576 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bank transfer for villa payment?

Why do they want a bank transfer? Where are the owners located? If they are in the US, there is no need to do a bank transfer. The method of payment is not as important as doing you due diligence on who you are paying.

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bank transfer for villa payment?

The listing says the owners live down the street in St. John, but the bank information is to London. He did not give pay pal as an option. What are some ways to verify I am actually sending to the owner?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
688 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bank transfer for villa payment?

This is likely a scam. Does this villa have a name?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bank transfer for villa payment?

Do not send them money. In all likelihood, the owners listing was hacked. This has been an on going problem. The instructions to send the money oversees is a huge red flag. Even if the owners lived in London, they would have a usvi bank account for villa operating expenses.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bank transfer for villa payment?

Allison, check your messages.

This stinks to high heavens. Below are two recent threads.

Thank you for sharing your concerns. Sharing the VRBO# within the forum would help us help you.

If the VRBO listing shows other forms of payment and the email demands otherwise VRBO should be contacted immediately - you may save another traveler some grief.

A last minute rental would be the only valid reason I can think of for a bank transfer. Due diligence is your best defense. PayPal only provides protection with verified accounts. VRBO's credit card processor is a valid alternative.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147409-i432-k6072…

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147409-i432-k5179…

Edited: 19 February 2013, 13:51
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,916 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bank transfer for villa payment?

That would be a scam

Pia
St John, VI
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bank transfer for villa payment?

Scam

Pia

Boston...
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bank transfer for villa payment?

This was most definitely a scam. I spoke with the owner directly this morning. He was out of town and had not replied to my email. I will contact VRBO to let them know of the situation.

Be careful!!

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bank transfer for villa payment?

It seems that if you could give the bank information to police somewhere, they should be able to figure out who these scammers are.

It makes me sick to think about! Glad you were on guard.