We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning arrival afternoon errands/provisioning

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
61 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Planning arrival afternoon errands/provisioning

Can't wait for my upcoming 8 day vacation on St John. I want to knock out our provisioning errands as soon as we arrive on island so we can kick back and relax the rest of our trip. Am hoping some veteran travellers can let me know if I am being realistic with the timing (as I am trying to set up a meeting time with the villa representative) or if I should build in more time for any of these activities.

1:45 PM - flight arrives at STT

3:00 PM - Red Hook Ferry to STJ

3:30 PM - walk to Varlack Ventures to pick up rental jeep

4:00 PM - head to St John Ice and Dolphin Market for provisions

4:30 PM - meet rep at Dolphin Market for drive to Villa

6:30 PM - head to dinner in Coral Bay...get on island time

Is this reasonable?

Middleburg, Virginia
Level Contributor
411 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning arrival afternoon errands/provisioning

Not if you start with Painkillers. :)

New Jersey
Level Contributor
503 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning arrival afternoon errands/provisioning

Have you considered getting provisions ahead of time? We have used St. John Catering several times in the past and love having our villa fully stocked when we arrive:

stjohncatering.com/villa-grocery-provisionin…

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning arrival afternoon errands/provisioning

The market may be very busy at that time of day. Have your list made ahead of time.

If time is important to you, I also vote for provisioning. We used Blue Sky Management this past trip and were very pleased. You do pay for the convenience but it is very nice to have everything delivered and put away (and cool beer) when you arrive at the villa.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning arrival afternoon errands/provisioning

Might take u a bit longer to get forom the airport to red hook, but other than that, it's perfect

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning arrival afternoon errands/provisioning

Might take u a bit longer to get forom the airport to red hook, but other than that, it's perfect.

Oops! Sorry for the double reply

Edited: 20 February 2013, 16:07
Rockport...
Level Contributor
258 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning arrival afternoon errands/provisioning

I was thinking the same as R-dizzle. Seems like plenty of time to me.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,905 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning arrival afternoon errands/provisioning

I think you will need more than 30 minutes for water and food.

The parking at both STJ ICe and Dolphin is tight and you may spend as much as 10 minutes (between both) just manuevering etc.

Rockport...
Level Contributor
258 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning arrival afternoon errands/provisioning

One suggestion you might consider if you are traveling on a Saturday in high season -before April 15. We have found it a good idea to call a day or two in advance and let the car rental people know what time you are arriving and let them know what time you need the vehicle . We have experienced with a couple of different vendors that our car was not ready when we arrived because of a late drop off and that caused us a delay. If you call ahead it likely won't be you who has to wait.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
61 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planning arrival afternoon errands/provisioning

Thanks for the responses. We will be arriving on a Sunday afternoon if that makes a difference.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
61 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Planning arrival afternoon errands/provisioning

I don't really want to pay a premium to have the villa provisioned ahead of time.

Does it make more sense to skip the large initial shopping in Cruz Bay and just pick up a couple of days worth of supplies (bread, pb&j, water, milk) at Love City Mini Mart after dinner our first evening? Not sure how much more expensive those items will be in Coral Bay. we can probably pack enough nuts, salty snacks, bagels, and some sweets to get us through the first day.

We have to drive back to Cruz Bay early Tue afternoon to pick up another person and can do a larger shopping trip then when the stores may be less crowded.

Thoughts?