We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

L& Jeep rental charges $50 cleaning fee UNLESS you ask

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
L& Jeep rental charges $50 cleaning fee UNLESS you ask

I recently rented a jeep for a week from L&L Jeep rental on St. John. At the time of rental and previously when I called, they informed me that the %50 cleaning fee would only be charged to my card if the vehicle was not returned reasonably close to the condition it was rented in. The vehicle was returned in the same condition and clean. When I dropped it off they told me it was fine. I spoke with the owner today and he said they only return the $50 if the customer SPECIFICALLY ASKS FOR IT UPON RETURN OF THE VEHICLE. I have rented literally HUNDREDS of vehicles all over the world and have NEVER been charged a cleaning fee. This appears to me to be a way to ripoff unsuspecting tourists. I think it is unscrupulous and BAD FOR BUSINESS. I am filing a complaint with the U.S.V.I. consumer affairs office. Meanwhile, don't rent from them unless you remember to ask for your $50 and they agree to pay you. The owner also told me I am calling too late even though I just received my credit card bill. I called last week and they said to call back this week since they did not have my agreement in the office and had to retrieve it. The owner said he didn't have my invoice and that it was too late. I am filing a complaint with the U.S.V.I. Consumer Affairs Division and disputing the charge with Mastercard.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: L& Jeep rental charges $50 cleaning fee UNLESS you ask

Good luck!

B,

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: L& Jeep rental charges $50 cleaning fee UNLESS you ask

It looks like I am not the only person this has happened to. The owner said he couldn't stay in business unless he operated this way. It sounds like just the opposite. After traveling to St. John several times it is apparent one does not even need to rent a car since taxis and the bus system will work out for almost all situations.

St Thomas
Destination Expert
for St. Thomas
Level Contributor
15,547 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: L& Jeep rental charges $50 cleaning fee UNLESS you ask

"After traveling to St. John several times it is apparent one does not even need to rent a car since taxis and the bus system will work out for almost all situations."

Certainly not for the majority!

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, East End
Level Contributor
6,140 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: L& Jeep rental charges $50 cleaning fee UNLESS you ask

I agree with STTResident. Taxis and certainly the bus do not work for most people. The issue is that there is a limited supply of cars on STJ. During the high season they are all rented. There is nothing to motivate the companies to provide better service. It is what it is and you just have to deal with it.

B.

Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: L& Jeep rental charges $50 cleaning fee UNLESS you ask

You rent cars on an island. Sand happens. Stuff like this saddens me about STJ, stick with Courtesy rentals, they are a class act.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,037 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: L& Jeep rental charges $50 cleaning fee UNLESS you ask

Buses and taxis will never get me to all of my must see spots on island.

I only use STJ Car Rental, never had a single problem. Ever.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
4,291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: L& Jeep rental charges $50 cleaning fee UNLESS you ask

Please come back and let the forum know how this worked out for you.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: L& Jeep rental charges $50 cleaning fee UNLESS you ask

Everywhere we went there were taxis available. I'd like to know of the secret places people are going where you wouldn't have taxi available. Based on costs per day you should be able to spend less than $85 per day on cab fare if close to town. If out in the boonies you would need a car to save time. We stayed close enough to Cruz Bay to be able to walk in. The hills don't bother us. Cellphones work great there. The bus takes one to coral bay and salt bay (great calm snorkeling). I called my credit card company and they said they would dispute the charge with L&L JEEP RENTAL and give me a permanent credit for $50. L&L is shady.

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
L & L Jeep Rental
L & L Jeep Rental
75 Reviews
St. John
CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,037 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: L& Jeep rental charges $50 cleaning fee UNLESS you ask

If I told you the places then everyone would go!

Just know that renting a jeep is a must for many STJ travelers.

Good luck!

Coastal South...
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: L& Jeep rental charges $50 cleaning fee UNLESS you ask

geo - I'm not sure the places are "secret" but I know a taxi would have never gotten me to Little Lameshur, Brown Bay or Vie's (Maybe I would have made it there but no guarantee someone would come get me). I am sure the bus is a viable option for some people but I can't imagine scheduling my families vacation around a bus or taxi. Or lugging our beach stuff and cooler around that way! To each his own. I agree that some travelers don't need a car for the entire week if they are staying near Cruz or at Caneel and don't want to explore the entire island. I'm sorry this happened to you with L&L but it sounds like the credit card is doing right by you.