We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa provisioning

ri
Level Contributor
41 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Villa provisioning

Hello, I know this has been discussed but...I will be heading down in may and we are not renting a car as there are too many of us for one and no one wants to drive :). I understand Starfish Market does villa provisioning. Has anyone used them? Their provisioning price is fair (50$ delivery and 10% of total bill). But are they reliable? Any information regarding this would be great!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa provisioning

I learned something new today, I did not know Starfish provisioned.

We provision every trip. Last month we used Bly Sky Management and I was very happy with the service. Her website lists many, many items and I could complete my order. Other services I used in the past had limited options as well as big upcharges for straying from their list.

I ordered everything we needed for the first couple of days as well as the big, heavy things like cases of water, beer, wine. We filled in other grocery items at the store later in the week. I think the charge for the service (not the items) was around $150. I thought her item prices were fair, some things more, some things less than Starfish.

You say you aren't renting a vehicle. Are you staying within walking distance to a beach? Forgive me if you already know this but taxis don't go everywhere on the island. No vehicle will limit your mobility.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa provisioning

Where are you staying without a vehicle? I only ask because you said there were too many of you. I think you will find that the price for taxis to the beach from most any south shore villa, if you can get a taxi to come get you, will be MUCH more for a large group than renting an SUV,

ri
Level Contributor
41 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa provisioning

Lol I have been many times and we are 9. All friends. So we will each pay our own taxi fare. We are a short walk to the westin so taxis shouldn't be a problem. We all figure the added expence is worth not having to be designated driver ;)

Boston
Level Contributor
482 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa provisioning

We wil be there in May and are also looking to provision. I've looked at the following:

http://www.villafoodvi.com

They seem pretty reasonable but would love to check out Starfish. Went to the website but did not see a click-thru for provisioning. Can you share the link?

Thanks.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
6,045 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa provisioning

I believe that VillaFood is no longer in business

ri
Level Contributor
41 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa provisioning

www.starfishmarket.com

On the right side of the screen it sais provisioning. I called for more info.

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,121 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa provisioning

Hmmmmm.... I love this idea. I think.

How do the delivery people get into the unit to put the food away? Would it be possible for them to make a copy of the key?

Maybe Starfish could coordinate with Cimmaron, who we're renting through, and they could let them in.

I'm really interested to hear more about this, as it's so much more reasonable!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa provisioning

adlnp - Please post after your trip regarding not renting a vehicle and using taxi service. I can't imagine not having a jeep to go where I want, when I want.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa provisioning

Minde - the delivery person coordinates with the management company to facilitate delivery. Having the shopping finished, stored and put in the fridge is a real treat.

ri
Level Contributor
41 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa provisioning

I will post a full trip report when we get back. The house like I said is very close to the Westin and is right on the water. Also there are taxis that will come get you for $3 PP in addition to the set rate. I imagine you would need to call them very early for villa pick up but with as many as we have it would not be a waist of time for them. Had we rented in an area other than this (fish bay, coral bay) I would have had to get a couple of vehicles. We are also renting a couple of captained boats for a few days for excursions so not much time for visiting the beaches on the other side. I have taken the bus RT to Coral Bay before. That was very interesting. No set schedule really. Just grab a couple of beers at the little store there and wait for a bit. It does eventually show up and only $1 or $2. Full report to follow!

Mentioned in this post
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
181 Reviews
St. John