We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Day on St. John in May- Need Suggestions

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
1 Day on St. John in May- Need Suggestions

My husband and I will be vacationing in Tortola for the first time in May for a week. We would like to take a day trip to St. John. The ferry from West End is scheduled to depart at 9:15 am. If we visit on Friday we can take the latest ferry back which is at 5 p.m. Sunday's ferry returns to Tortola at 4:30 p.m. so that day would work aswell.

We would like to snorkel most of the day possibly at 2 beaches. I am not a great swimmer, so Waterlemon is out. Any recommendations? Should we rent a car for the day or can we taxi it from Cruz Bay, and for how much? Any suggestions for places to grab lunch at?

washington dc
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 Day on St. John in May- Need Suggestions

You could do a moring snorkel at Honeymoon then have lunch Caneel or go back to Cruz bay and do another north shore beach in afternoon. Trunk is pretty good snorkel but beach may be crowded with day trip visitor or cruise ship visitors. If you stick to north shore beaches you could use taxis and not have to rent a car.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 Day on St. John in May- Need Suggestions

I think I would get off the ferry and go to Deli Grotto and grab sandwiches and drinks. Then get a taxi to Trunk Bay, pay the 4 dollars and enjoy the beach. It really is a beach that I think everyone should see at least once.

Then after lunch grab a taxi to Caneel. Hike to Honeymoon (quick hike) and hang out there for the afternoon.

Then back to Caneel, have a fancy drink at the bar and taxi back to town by 3:30 to walk around Mongoose Junction and do some shopping (window or otherwise) and get the ferry back at 5:00.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 Day on St. John in May- Need Suggestions

I think we will definetly stop at Trunk Bay. The other two beaches I was considering are Hawknest and Cinnamon. Is one better for snorkeling than the other and also less crowded?

After reading some restaurant reviews I was thinking maybe stopping by either The Beach Bar or Woody's Seafood Saloon before taking the ferry back. I however came across some posts that the two places are or have been sold. Does this mean that they might close down?

I also saw that someone posted that if you are not staying @ Caneel you don't have access to their beach. Is this true?

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 Day on St. John in May- Need Suggestions

Neither of those places will close, in fact I am guessing that nothing will change.

If you want to get into town for a beverage, i would go to trunk first thing, then Hawksnest (snorkel to the right) and then into town

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 Day on St. John in May- Need Suggestions

Good suggestions but if you go to Trunk last you get to use their showers and changing rooms so you can go into town in dry clothes without sand. Woodys is fun but Beach Bar has much better food. Go to both.

New Rochelle, New...
Level Contributor
9 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 Day on St. John in May- Need Suggestions

Do not rent a car for one day. You won't have a lot of time to waste, and rentals checkouts can go slowly on "island time." If max snorkling time is what you are after, I would suggest that when you get through customs in Cruz Bay, go left passing the National Parks Center, and take the trail (which starts behind the National Parks building) for only about 1 mile to Salomon Beach and Honeymoon Bay. You'll be on one of the prettiest (and quietest) beaches on St. John, with perhaps the best coral reef on the island. stjohntraveler.com/tourism/…. You can either pick up sandwiches in Cruz Bay before you head to the beach, or walk about another 10 minutes to have lunch at the Caneel Bay Resort (although that will be a pricey option). The other responders' suggestions to take a taxi to Trunk or Hawksnest are also good options. It's hard to go wrong on gorgeous St. John.

washington dc
Level Contributor
379 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 Day on St. John in May- Need Suggestions

Hawksneat is very close to Cruz bay and it was always very crowded when we drove by. I don't know about the snorkeling there, we only walked that beach early one morning.

I think if I only had one day I'd do Trunk and Honeymoon. Honeymoon was one of our favorite snorkel spot and not very crowded.

I agree not to waste time renting car. It took us almost 45min last year to get our car. Hope you have fun.

Pittsford, New York
Level Contributor
713 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 Day on St. John in May- Need Suggestions

I would not rent a car for the day. Would be a waste of time. My suggestion would be to stop at the Deli Grotto when you get off the ferry to buy sandwiches and drinks for lunch (bring your own small lunch cooler and ice packs) and hike to Salomon Bay and Honeymoon Beach. The snorkeling on Honeymoon is very good, and it is not a hard swim. Spend the morning there, and then take a taxi back to Trunk Bay. There is snorkeling there -- IMO, it is just ok, but it is an easy snorkel, and the beach is gorgeous. Head back into town for a drink at Woodys, then head to the Beach Bar to have an early dinner. You will also be close to shops at Wharfside if you find you have time to shop before the ferry leaves. Whatever you decide, you can't go wrong!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 Day on St. John in May- Need Suggestions

I think we will try the hike to Honeymoon Beach & snorkel there for a bit. Sounds like we can catch a cab to Trunk Bay from Caneels. We would like to see Cinnamon Bay, but if we don't make it we won't stress out. Grabbing a drink in Cruz Bay and hitting the Mongoose shops sounds like a great plan at the end of the day before catching the ferry back. Thank-You all for the wonderful suggestions. We are very excited & can't wait!

Ohio
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 Day on St. John in May- Need Suggestions

I think you've got a good plan, kit_kat! The snorkel from Salomon around to Honeymoon is one of my favorites. Have fun!