We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I purchase a beach umbrella on St. John?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mass
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where can I purchase a beach umbrella on St. John?

Does anyone know a good place to pick up a beach umbrella on St John? I'm hoping to get one when we get there to provide some shade on the beach. Thanks!

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I purchase a beach umbrella on St. John?

Just be aware that there is ample shade under the trees at the edge of all the North Shore beaches. You won't see anyone using umbrellas there. In fact, I'm not sure they're permitted on the National Park beaches.

kod
Sarasota, Florida
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I purchase a beach umbrella on St. John?

As above but I think its a good question. There are times when an umbrellas would be nice. Sometimes at Salt Pond and other beaches, it can be difficult to find reliable shade as others are using the spots. At Francis if you walk far enough you can usually find some trees to sit under but sometimes you have to put up with the chickens. On the other hand I would not want to sit in back of someone who has their umbrella up blocking my views.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
208 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I purchase a beach umbrella on St. John?

I don't think there is any sort of regulation against using a beach umbrella on National Park beaches as I have seen many in use over the years.

I would look at Chelsea Drug Store or St. John Hardware in the Marketplace.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 18:24
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I purchase a beach umbrella on St. John?

I am not aware of any umbrella restrictions within the park. We saw lots of people with umbrellas last month, which brings me to my next point. The wind was picking them up, which is a huge hazard. We would travel with one when our son was young and it had a screw bottom, it screwed down into the sand about 2 feet and was very stable. I'll check to see the brand name and report back, it broke down into three pieces and fit into our checked bag.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
5,965 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I purchase a beach umbrella on St. John?

Check your villa or condo first. Several of the ones we have rented had them but we never used them. We have always been able to find at least a little shade and then move to more shade as people leave. If you go early you'll have no problem finding shade.

Suffern NY
Level Contributor
666 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I purchase a beach umbrella on St. John?

I bring and use a beach umbrella every year when I visit St John. It is very buggy to sit under the trees in the shade. There is no prohibition against using them in the park. You can rent one through Island Babies but there is no place to count on buying one. There may be a stray for sale at Chelsea Drugs or St. John Hardware, but unless you call , verify and purchase it in advance, you may not have one.

Suffern NY
Level Contributor
666 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I purchase a beach umbrella on St. John?

I bring and use a beach umbrella every year when I visit St John. It is very buggy to sit under the trees in the shade. There is no prohibition against using them in the park. You can rent one through Island Babies but there is no place to count on buying one. There may be a stray for sale at Chelsea Drugs or St. John Hardware, but unless you call , verify and purchase it in advance, you may not have one.

cape cod
Level Contributor
101 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can I purchase a beach umbrella on St. John?

We bought one in cruz bay it was around the so called rotary and there were shops I can't remember the name but it sold snorkel gear and there was a parking lot to park.

We did this in Jan.

Suffern NY
Level Contributor
666 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can I purchase a beach umbrella on St. John?

Recently?

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
650 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can I purchase a beach umbrella on St. John?

I rented an umbrella from Crabby's in Coral Bay. I think it was $20 /wk. Worth the price on a hot day at Salt Pond : )