We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for a special trip

Slippery Rock...
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for a special trip

Hello everyone! We are a group of 6 planning our week long visit for the end of April 2014. We had originally planned on visiting St. Croix and I have done a lot of research for that island. However, I am finding that the villas and beaches on St. John are just too beautiful not to consider!

This is a very special trip for us, as we'll be celebrating my parents and spreading their ashes at sea. Any recommendations for a small charter boat to do this?

As far as the villa goes we would like

~ hot tub!!

~3 bedrooms with one of them having 2 twin beds

~AC in at least bedrooms

~would prefer to be walking distance to sandy beach

Our budget for the villa is $4000

I'm not sure which part of the island would be best for our group. We don't mind remote but we'd also like to be close enough to live music for at least a few nights. Mainly we'd just like to swim, snorkle, snuba and relax. We plan on going out to eat a few times as well but really want to take advantage of the kitchen at the villa. I'm a bit worried reading about some of the roads!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give us first timers!

Mentioned in this post
St. Croix
St. Croix
U.S. Virgin Islands
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
kod
Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for a special trip

I thought a hot tub would be nice but found at the last minute the owner informed me that the heating unit was not working and there was no way it could be fixed that week. I still went in and got an ear infection, fortunately it was at the end of the week and I had antibiotic ear drops with me. To me, a pool is more important since, to answer another question, it will be very difficult to find a villa within walking distance to a nice sandy beach. St John is the type of island where you have to travel to get to the nice sandy beaches.There is not much snuba in St John. It would probably be better to stay closer to Cruz Bay where there are more restaurants and music. The roads are not bad once you get used to them.You will need to rent a jeep type of vehicle for the week.

Mentioned in this post
St. John
St. John
U.S. Virgin Islands
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Slippery Rock...
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for a special trip

Thanks for your reply, kod. I guess I left out the pool but we would definitely want one!

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
592 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for a special trip

Gull Cottage! You can easilywalkmto the Westin. It's right on the water?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for a special trip

Walk to sandy beach is very hard to find. This is my favorite house on STJ because we like to be close to town and walk to the beach -

http://www.cateredto.com/kallaloo/

A smidge above your price range and no AC (I would stay there in April with no AC) but you can walk to Gibney Beach.

I would highly recommend this house as well -

http://bayrumbreeze.com/

The location is right off Centerline Road, close to the junction connecting to North Shore Road (can't remember the route #) so it made for easy beach access as well as going to either Cruz Bay or Coral Bay. The house was perfectly maintained and spotless. The kitchen is huge and the outdoor living space was fantastic. The bedrooms are equal and the one can be made as two twins. This is the only STJ hot tub I ever sat in, see my hot tub thoughts below. It is managed by an on-island agency. I rented directly from the owner and she was a joy to deal with.

I am not a STJ hot tub fan. We have stayed in several high end STJ where the hot tub was broken our entire visit. I think, in general, it is hard to keep them running for whatever reason. Stayed at another house where the hot tub was so dirty, I suspect something was wrong with it.

Charter boats - for a sail boat, I would recommend Capt Phil of the Wayward Sailor. for a motor boat, John Brandi of Palm Tree charters. I have chartered on both and I think they have the professional manner that would suit the occasion. (have been out with some jerk captains in the past, sadly they aren't all professoinal)

Mentioned in this post
Cruz Bay
Cruz Bay
St. John
Coral Bay
Coral Bay
180 Reviews
St. John
Slippery Rock...
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for a special trip

Thanks so much for your suggestions and info. I'm disappointed to hear about the hot tubs but I'll keep looking....it's really something I want.

kod
Nokomis, Florida
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for a special trip

I checked with the owner several times before we arrived and received glowing reports about the hot tub. He even said he would change the water before we came.

7. Re: Suggestions for a special trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 05:18