We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about private chefs

Larchmont, New York
Level Contributor
928 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
question about private chefs

Hi,

maybe this is a dumb question, but here goes: if you hire a private chef are you expected to tip the chef on top of the fee that are paying? if so, is it a customary 15-20%? or is no gratutity expected?

thanks.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,751 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about private chefs

I have tipped, 20%.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
63 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about private chefs

We have always tipped 20%, check the paperwork to see whether gratuity is included. Usually it isn't.

Boston...
Level Contributor
552 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: question about private chefs

Normally I don't tip the owner of the company that is providing the service (like a dog groomer for instance), but it was our wedding and the food was great so we tipped 20%

Chesapeake, Virginia
Level Contributor
473 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about private chefs

Well, I have been trying to get in touch with Chef Ted Robinson. I sent an e-mail last week but got no response, so today, I called the number on his website and left a message.

He gets great reviews. He owns his own business and comes to you with a helper- and I too wonder what others have done insofar as a tip. I think he charges $125 per person, but does everything including the cleanup. Nice to just sit around your patio/pool, kitchen and have a first class meal prepared and not worry about drinking/driving/parking. Hope to hear from him soon.

5. Re: question about private chefs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 05:19