We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proof of insurance for car rental?

boston
Level Contributor
108 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Proof of insurance for car rental?

Hi guys,

Rented from Courtesy on STJ this year and they say in their paper work that if you deny their insurance you need to offer proof of your own.

What exactly are they looking for?

In MA our registration is proof of insurance, but I know some states give insurance cards. Am I going to be forced into getting Courtesys car insurance?

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proof of insurance for car rental?

Take a copy of your insurance policy or a letter from your agent stating you are covered.

Bethesda, Maryland
Level Contributor
61 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proof of insurance for car rental?

Is this common with other rental agencies? I am renting from Varlack beginning this Sunday.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cruz Bay
Level Contributor
6,676 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proof of insurance for car rental?

I can only remember being asked for it once in 20+ years. Sorry, I can't remember which agency.

Call them and ask if you need it or look on their website.

Edited: 22 March 2013, 18:00
4. Re: Proof of insurance for car rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 19:06
Wheaton, Illinois
Destination Expert
for St. Croix
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proof of insurance for car rental?

Just need to make sure that your regular auto policy will provide liability coverage for you in US territories. Not all do.

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proof of insurance for car rental?

"Just need to make sure that your regular auto policy will provide liability coverage for you in US territories. Not all do."

Best and most important information in the thread - thank you MargyZ

Bourbon, IN
Level Contributor
431 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proof of insurance for car rental?

Cool Breeze never asked us, but Courtesy did. We forgot out insurance card 2 years ago so I just had our insurance company fax them a copy of our policy, no biggie!!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
568 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proof of insurance for car rental?

I asked Paris Car Rental when I reserved a vehicle for upcoming trip. They said just bring the little piece of paper that you normally keep in your car for proof of insurance.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,675 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proof of insurance for car rental?

I've rented from Courtesy many times. The most recent time, this past January, was the first time they asked me for insurance proof. I questioned them about the new policy, and they told me they had been having some problems with people whose insurance didn't provide the needed coverage (I guess there had been accidents in these cases).

Anyway, like NeednSun, I just had my agent fax a copy the next day (they let me take the car on the promise that I would do that). I'm not sure exactly what document was sent. You could either take your full policy or call them and ask. They're a quality operation.

Washington DC...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Proof of insurance for car rental?

My insurance will not cover us in St. John, everyone should make that call before they arrive.