We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ford Focus

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ford Focus

is a ford focus safe for the island? one of the dealerships L & L is offering me a ford focus.. wondering if I should get this instead of a jeep.

We are staying in cruz bay. and plan on driving to the beaches.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ford Focus

I do not recommend renting a car on island. I would not want to be on a switchback after a quick rain in a car. That is just me.

I would recommend that you watch this video and make the decison for yourself

on-stjohn.com/2007/…

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ford Focus

I rented a car once and I won't do that again. On top of that, last year another tourist was on the wrong side of the road and hit us head on in their jeep. I wouldn't have wanted to have been in a tiny car when that happened. Luckily we were in our jeep as well and not on the cliff side of the road

Rockport...
Level Contributor
197 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ford Focus

I wouldn't want to drive a regular car on those roads.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ford Focus

thanks for the info!

Virginia
Level Contributor
2,247 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ford Focus

I've driven regular cars and will do so again. I have rented jeeps and other 4 wheel drive cars and have NEVER - EVER shifted the car into 4-wheel during any of the many weeks or days I've spent in St John.

Good tires are the most important factor at all times. If roads are wet maintaining your momentum and the good tires will do the job. But waiting for the pavement to dry will work otherwise.

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ford Focus

I got in an accident with a car 8 years ago and have rented a jeep since then. If you go on bad roads the high clearance is nice.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
64 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ford Focus

i would just be driving to the beaches.

CT
Destination Expert
for St. John
Level Contributor
5,676 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ford Focus

The video I posted is the North shore Shore, where all the beaches are. You will need to drive this road to get to the beaches

Duxbury...
Level Contributor
336 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ford Focus

The paved blacktop roads can get very slippery after a rain- something about the oil in the blacktop- that is why you see so many concrete driveways on St John. I would get a jeep.

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ford Focus

I got in the accident on the northshore road near Trunk Bay going up and around a very steep and sharp curve. We hit a truck who was going too fast and also veered to close to the middle of a narrow road. No one was hurt.