We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stupid question ,Sunburn and bald heads?

Which St. John hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Stupid question ,Sunburn and bald heads?

This may sound stupid but i would like to know what other people have done to protect thier head from sunburn while snorkling.I got a pretty good burn last year and had to put on a bandana after awhile.I know sunscreen but i just thought i would ask.LOL

Maryland
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Stupid question ,Sunburn and bald heads?

I bought and used a Scuba Do Rag quite comfortably on my last visit. You can find them here:

http://www.scubadorag.com/index.php

Coral Bay, St. John
Level Contributor
306 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stupid question ,Sunburn and bald heads?

Put the bandana on earlier! :)

Ridgewood, New...
Destination Expert
for Kiawah Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
8,623 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stupid question ,Sunburn and bald heads?

My father-in-law, who is totally bald and fair skinned, swears by the high SPF water-resistant sunscreens. He uses a Neutragena 70+ SPF product, which he reapplies (liberally!) on his entire head each time he gets out of the water. He also wears a baseball cap when in the sun, even when not on the beach. Amazingly, his head gets tanned even with all the protection.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
104 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stupid question ,Sunburn and bald heads?

Not a stupid question at all- esp while snorkeling. last year I got my husband a Nammu hat-nammuhats.com- before we went to Hawaii. It stays on even with taking a mask on and off at least most of the time. He did n ot get sunburned, but unfortunatey lost it on the beach. I have never seen one in a store but it came quickly ordering on line. Will have to order a new one for our May St.John trip. Also in Hawaii we rented snorkeling masks that had our glasses prescriptions in it- that was worth the money. Unfortunately the water in Hawaii was too cold and rough in Feb.for much snorkeling which was disappointing.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stupid question ,Sunburn and bald heads?

I wear an old baseball cap- backwards. Works for me, and the bill even saves my neck from burning. If it's a bright color, even better as your snorkel mates will be able to track you easily.

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
201 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stupid question ,Sunburn and bald heads?

I wear a swim cap even with a full head of hair. Yeah I look like a dork, but it works. It also helps my wife know exactly where I'm at, she worries.

Dave

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Stupid question ,Sunburn and bald heads?

I use a spray sunscreen and then wear a hat from the moment I reach the beach. Once out snorkeling I obviously don't wear the hat but I don't have any trouble with the amount of time out in the water.

Boston
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stupid question ,Sunburn and bald heads?

My hubbie also lathers up and puts a baseball cap on backwards

Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Stupid question ,Sunburn and bald heads?

I have seen in stores a sunblock specifically for bald heads!

Bangor, Maine
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Stupid question ,Sunburn and bald heads?

All great ideas.Love the bandana hat things.I thought of the hat backwards but didnt know if it would stay on.Glad you guys didn't think i was silly for asking. now i have to decide which route thanks Mike